How to find Optometrists who are willing to help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doyourbest

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really confused...Please give me your opinions.
I have difficulty finding an Optometrist to do volunteer work or job shadowing. I contacted a few, they rejected my request or never called me back. What do you think I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

See if there is a Prevent Blindness in your area (or any organization ie the Lions Club). It is a good way to bulid community service (they always need volunteer vision screeners and the certification process is not difficult). It is a way to meet others interested in optometry, and even optometrists. If you live close to an optometry school, they are often helpful in introducing you to alum that may allow you to shadow them or pass you on to a friend of theirs.
If you are looking for a job try being an optician at a Wal-Mart or Lens Crafters, or see if any private practices need a hand for the summer
Also ask your parents, a friend of a friend may be good friends of an optometrist, or someone you know may have a personal relationship with their OD that makes it easier for you to form a relationship with.
I don't know why, but it does seem that many optometrist aren't willing to help aspiring ones, but don't get discourage because their are ODs that are very helpful.

Where are you from? Someone may be from your area and can introduce you to someone, or point you in a better direction.

doyourbest said:
I have difficulty finding an Optometrist to do volunteer work or job shadowing. I contacted a few, they rejected my request or never called me back. What do you think I should do?

doyourbest said:
When's your next appointment with your own optometrist? Perhaps you could mention at that time that you're interested in optometry school and perhaps shadowing at his/her office. Even just an hour a day, for a week to start, could be beneficial to you.

You mentioned you contacted a few optometrists already - it sounds like by phone. Walking into the office might be a better option. It shows you're more motivated, and it makes you harder to turn away! If you're still sticking to the phones for now, you could call and try to make an appointment with the optometrist to talk about your aspirations (make sure this intention is clear to the receptionist - they may need to check with the doctor first). Be careful, though, because June is only a few days away and it can be a busy month for many private practices!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have had the same difficulties. When I was back home from school over my Easter break, I went to six optometrists' offices, and the receptionists with whom I spoke all seemed somewhat clueless as to why I would want to shadow/volunteer. But then when I checked with a couple optometrists in the town where my school is located, they were both more than willing to help me out, even though they had never had anyone shadow them before. I think it's kind of the luck of the draw, so I'd recommend looking up numerous optometrists in your area and actually popping in the office to ask them about shadowing. It seems like current optometrists should be willing to help out potential optometry students because they were once in that position...but who knows. Good luck with the search...I have to continue it now that I'm back home too, and I'm not looking forward to it :(

doyourbest said: