How to get a good fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guy_2106

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of talk of pain fellowships being very competitive but what does that mean? Can the average ASA resident still even get a pain fellowship? I thought a link where things such as: what kind of scores do you need, what kind of research if any is needed, how important are letters of recommendation, and when would be the best time to apply.

Members don't see this ad.

guy_2106 said:
There seems to be a lot of talk of pain fellowships being very competitive but what does that mean? Can the average ASA resident still even get a pain fellowship? I thought a link where things such as: what kind of scores do you need, what kind of research if any is needed, how important are letters of recommendation, and when would be the best time to apply.
It is becoming more competitive to get a pain fellowship no question about that. That means that well rounded candidates are getting in and the average residents are not. Can an average resident get a fellowship-- yes they can but not in the top ranked programs.
Higher scores-- of coarse the higher the beter, research a plus but not a must, letters are a great help.
As I said you are against other residents for the same position. Who is more well rounded will get it.
This is my impression/experience.