How to get a job at a VA as an entry level psychologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueslily

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently, I am completing my postdoc in CA. I had an APA internship in CA as well. I plan to start applying for full-time positions in the spring. I really want to be able to get a job at a VA (vet affairs medical center/hosp). My concern is that I did not complete any training (practicum or internship) at a VA. I've heard that they prefer people who have experience in their setting. So, any tips on how to help myself stand out? I'm taking some trainings to add to my CV before submitting apps. But, I'm wondering about what else I can do.

Also, if anyone has been in a similiar situation, what worked for you? What do you think will be helpful?

Also, I am studying for EPPP right now. I will not be licensed when I start applying for jobs. Therefore, I believe that I will be applying for Grade 11 positions. Please share any input you have on this as well. I read some threads on there about the differences between grades (e.g. 11, 12, 13).

But, right now I am just trying to figure out what to do to help myself stand out and at least be invited for an interview at a VA.

I am flexible to apply nationally. I do not have to limit myself to CA.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, I am no expert as I don't work in a VA, so I hope you get some other responses about this from people who do. But here goes:

I hear there generally is a preference for people who have VA experience. It certainly wouldn't hurt. If you have worked with any military or veteran clients in other settings, it might be worth highlighting. However, this might not be a dealbreaker.

I'd imagine you'd have a better shot with a specialty. If you work in a niche area and are better qualified than the other candidates, then I'd imagine you'll be in good shape.

But maybe JeyRo or others have better input than I do. Regarding licensure, I am not sure what to advise - perhaps there is a benefit to waiting to apply until after licensed?

I also hear it can be a long hiring process. Given how competitive it is in CA too, I wonder how many job openings are there. You may need a back-up plan in the meantime.

Are you hoping to stay in CA?

I ask because one way to get "in" might be moving to one of the less desirable locales for awhile where the jobs will be significantly less competitive, even if your goal is eventually to make a move back. Aiming for competitive jobs in a competitive locale with minimal experience in that area is not a great position to be in, unfortunately.

Even if you haven't worked in a VA are you able to otherwise make a compelling case that such a setting is appropriate based on your previous experience? Are you a "generalist" or have you specialized in areas that are particularly critical in VA settings? Are your experiences in other hospital settings?

I'm not there yet myself, but these are all things to think about (and that will likely help others offer more suggestions).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the sense that generally, VA experience helps when you apply to a VA position, but if you don't have it, emphasizing the quality of your training and the clear relevance to the position you're applying to works just fine.

I was told after I was hired for my current position (I've been with the VA for 5+ years) that the fact I *hadn't* done my postdoc or internship at the VA actually made me more attractive. I think the idea was that I had "real world experience" that would actually make me willing to try different things and innovate a bit.

Anyways, USAJOBS has an online application system that makes applying for multiple jobs a lot easier, I'd take advantage of it. And if you're geographically mobile, I completely agree with the advice of making sure you apply to more remote and rural spots, as you'll be competing against a smaller group of applicants that way. I understand that for VA openings in more metropolitan areas at larger VAs, you can expect to compete with 50-100+ other applicants.

Only thing I'm wondering - if you've completed your internship and passed the EPPP (but have no other experience) wouldn't you start as a GS-12? Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this.

No, I do not have to stay in CA. I am planning to apply nationally.

That will definitely help your chances. Try and get your EPPP out of the way as soon as possible bc you want to be "eligible" for licensure as soon as possible. You can apply to sit for the EPPP in another state (some don't require post doc hours, so you can take it anytime after internship). The VA just needs you licensed in any state...which is nice. KS doesn't require post-doc hours and MI doesn't require continuing Ed credits....so both are popular options if you are anywhere near them. Ken Pope has a list of state req. on his website, which may be worth checking out.

hi all,

currently, i am completing my postdoc in ca. I had an apa internship in ca as well. I plan to start applying for full-time positions in the spring. I really want to be able to get a job at a va (vet affairs medical center/hosp). My concern is that i did not complete any training (practicum or internship) at a va. I've heard that they prefer people who have experience in their setting. So, any tips on how to help myself stand out? I'm taking some trainings to add to my cv before submitting apps. But, i'm wondering about what else i can do.

Also, if anyone has been in a similiar situation, what worked for you? What do you think will be helpful?

Also, i am studying for eppp right now. I will not be licensed when i start applying for jobs. Therefore, i believe that i will be applying for grade 11 positions. Please share any input you have on this as well. I read some threads on there about the differences between grades (e.g. 11, 12, 13).

But, right now i am just trying to figure out what to do to help myself stand out and at least be invited for an interview at a va.

I am flexible to apply nationally. I do not have to limit myself to ca.

use your current training faculty/supervisors for their connections.

Only thing I'm wondering - if you've completed your internship and passed the EPPP (but have no other experience) wouldn't you start as a GS-12? Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this.

It goes by time, not EPPP passing. Fresh out of internship = GS11, one year GS12, two years GS13 (and considered a permanent employee).

use your current training faculty/supervisors for their connections.

+1 on that. Given the number of apps the VA tends to see these days, anything that can personalize your application will get you a leg up.

KS doesn't require post-doc hours
Kansas does require post-doc hours

http://www.ksbsrb.org/faq_PSYCH.htm

Q. What is the supervised experience requirement in Kansas?
A. Two years of supervised experience of which:

1. One year and 1800 hours may be pre-doctoral internship.
2. At least one year and 1800 hours must be post-doctoral. Of the 1800 postdoctoral hours:
a. 900 hours shall be direct client contact providing psychological services, K.A.R. 102-1-1 (c)
b. 180 hours a year shall be providing general or non-clinical psychological services. K.A.R. 102-1-1 (h)
Please see K.A.R. 102-1-5a for the supervised experience requirements.

Kansas does require post-doc hours

Sorry...I ran two different thoughts together. Applicants in KS can register and sit for the EPPP after internship and while they are accruing post-doc hours, but they still need to complete their post-doc hours before licensure is granted. In most states at least 1 yr of post-doc is required before people can take the actual EPPP. I re-read what I wrote, and it was a a mess. :laugh: MI's lack of CEU credits make it popular for VA psychologists because the only CEU credits that are required are from the VA and not the state where the psychologist is licensed.

Sorry...I ran two different thoughts together. Applicants in KS can register and sit for the EPPP after internship and while they are accruing post-doc hours, but they still need to complete their post-doc hours before licensure is granted. In most states at least 1 yr of post-doc is required before people can take the actual EPPP. I re-read what I wrote, and it was a a mess. :laugh: MI's lack of CEU credits make it popular for VA psychologists because the only CEU credits that are required are from the VA and not the state where the psychologist is licensed.

AL and KS (as T4C said) seem to be two state licensing options popular in the VA, at least based on my experiences thus far. KS for the reasons mentioned (i.e., relatively cheap, can sit for the EPPP while accruing hours, no jurisprudence exam that I'm aware of), and AL because of the lack of a post-doc hours requirement.

Thanks all for the info about postdoc hours and taking the EPPP. I have a path and plan for the EPPP and state licensure. So, I'm good with that piece of the puzzle.

I'm more focused right now on how to make myself a good candidate for at least being invited for an interview once I submit my application to VA jobs. Thanks for the advice to apply to less competitive locations and to highlight my experience working in a similiar setting. Yes, I have some hospital experience so I'll certainly highlight that.

Any additional suggestions for how to make my CV stand out? The VA application process?

Has anyone beeen in a similar situation (having no VA training) and been able to secure a VA job? If yes, certainly share any feedback on what helped you get your foot in the door.

Thx.

Has anyone beeen in a similar situation (having no VA training) and been able to secure a VA job? If yes, certainly share any feedback on what helped you get your foot in the door.

In case it wasn't clear, I'm one of those people (VA employee and GS13 for the past 5+ years) - my postdoc and internship were at stellar sites, but not with the VA. Two things that got me my job:

1) My CV and work experience was an almost 100% fit with a highly specialized position. I immediately was highly competitive for the job compared to probably the sweeping majority of other applicants. I heard informally that in the final cut there was only two people they were considering for this position, and the other psychologist was made the offer first - but midway through the hiring process she took a job elsewhere. The job reopened, I reapplied, and then I was made the offer.

2) I had a personal connection with one of the members of the hiring committee (he was acquainted with a family member of mine). I don't know whether that helped in any concrete way, but I suspect it didn't hurt.

Hi all,

Currently, I am completing my postdoc in CA. I had an APA internship in CA as well. I plan to start applying for full-time positions in the spring. I really want to be able to get a job at a VA (vet affairs medical center/hosp). My concern is that I did not complete any training (practicum or internship) at a VA. I've heard that they prefer people who have experience in their setting. So, any tips on how to help myself stand out? I'm taking some trainings to add to my CV before submitting apps. But, I'm wondering about what else I can do.

Also, I am studying for EPPP right now. I will not be licensed when I start applying for jobs. Therefore, I believe that I will be applying for Grade 11 positions. Please share any input you have on this as well. I read some threads on there about the differences between grades (e.g. 11, 12, 13).

But, right now I am just trying to figure out what to do to help myself stand out and at least be invited for an interview at a VA.

I am flexible to apply nationally. I do not have to limit myself to CA.

I began working at a V.A. as a general psychologist right after receiving my Ph.D. in clinical psychology. I had no V.A. experience in graduate school or internship. The key is to apply to V.A. is out of the way area where nobody else wants to work (e.g., Montana, North Dakota, very rural areas). Youre not likely gong to get a job in California

Hello SDN. Apologies for resurrecting this old thread. I thought some people might have new tips to add if they've continued to work in the VA system for the past 3-4 years.

Also, I wanted to add a little about my specific circumstances and expand the question to include securing VA postdocs without prior VA experience. Regarding my clinical experience thus far, I have 2 years experience in UCC settings, I have 1 year at an inpatient hospital (substance, SMI, co-occuring, some gero), 1 year prac doing outpatient work at a hospital, and this year is internship doing primarily outpatient work at a hospital. The past couple of years working in hospital settings has been great. I've been applying to general, PTSD, and health-psych tracks at VA postdocs. If it doesn't work out for postdoc year, I'll likely try to apply to entry level VA jobs after getting licensed.

Thoughts? Tips? Updated general info regarding getting your foot in the door for VA postdocs or entry level jobs?

Thank you.

Your experiences seem like they should make you competitive for VA postdocs and jobs, particularly if you're geographically flexible. I'd imagine most fellowships should also be somewhat less competitive than full-time positions. As edieb mentioned, the difficulties most often seem to arise if someone is looking for a specific VA job in a specific location.

Reactions: 1 user

Michigan now requires CEUs.