How to get all A's in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shootingstar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are doing well in dental school, can you share your daily study schedules or how you generally prepare for a test?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Review the material that I learned in class for about an hour at night.
Work on lab work about an hour after school.

For tests I study about 8-12 hours a day for 2 days prior to the test ... but it's different for everyone. You'll have to find out what it takes to really learn the material.

But I don't think it's very possible to get a 4.0 ... In our biochem class we only had 1 A and only 4 A's in Histology. I ended up getting a B in a smaller dental class just because i messed up on the final and a B in the same dental class lab because I can't wax.

It all depends on your ability; some people are simply better at memorizing than others. That's something you'll have to figure out for yourself. It will also depend on the school. Some schools simply grade harder than others; at my school there hasn't a been anyone who has graduated with a 4.0 in 10 or 15 yrs. It's simply not possible here.

On another note, I sometimes wonder how much effect that has on the ability of our students to get into specialty programs. Even if you are #10 in the class with a 3.45 GPA that really looks less impressive than someone from another school who is #25 in the class with 3.7 GPA.

I don't have any plans to specialize, so I don't get too worried about it. But I do think if I wanted to specialize I would have chosen an "easy" school as far as grading is concerned. For example I have heard from UPENN students that they give out mostly A's to their students and everyone who is not in the top 10 gets a class ranking of #11. That is a huge advantage when applying for specialty. If you are dead set on specializing it might be worth the extra money for those kinds of benefits from a school.

Now all you UPENN students don't get offended; it's just for the sake of example. I'm sure the curriculum is pretty similar from school to school and there are other factors that come into play, but you have to admit that grading differs depending on the school attended.

Members don't see this ad :)
12YearOldKid said:
It all depends on your ability; some people are simply better at memorizing than others. That's something you'll have to figure out for yourself. It will also depend on the school. Some schools simply grade harder than others; at my school there hasn't a been anyone who has graduated with a 4.0 in 10 or 15 yrs. It's simply not possible here.

On another note, I sometimes wonder how much effect that has on the ability of our students to get into specialty programs. Even if you are #10 in the class with a 3.45 GPA that really looks less impressive than someone from another school who is #25 in the class with 3.7 GPA.

I don't have any plans to specialize, so I don't get too worried about it. But I do think if I wanted to specialize I would have chosen an "easy" school as far as grading is concerned. For example I have heard from UPENN students that they give out mostly A's to their students and everyone who is not in the top 10 gets a class ranking of #11. That is a huge advantage when applying for specialty. If you are dead set on specializing it might be worth the extra money for those kinds of benefits from a school.

Now all you UPENN students don't get offended; it's just for the sake of example. I'm sure the curriculum is pretty similar from school to school and there are other factors that come into play, but you have to admit that grading differs depending on the school attended.

UPenn ranks the top 15 students and the rest of the class is unranked.

Thanks for the clarification. For some reason I thought I remembered being told that everyone except the top 10 received #11 on their transcript. But that's just what I remember from some research conference I attended almost two years ago. Since you go there, I guess you might know better. :D

12YearOldKid said:
Even if you are #10 in the class with a 3.45 GPA that really looks less impressive than someone from another school who is #25 in the class with 3.7 GPA.

I don't think so. A #10 rank, regardless of the GPA, is much better than #25.

A "3.7" doesn't mean anything without other factors. Class rank is a method of revealing those other factors. A 3.7 isn't so impressive if the class average is a 3.96 and the bottom 10% have a 3.73. That 3.7 student is in the bottom pile of students.

ItsGavinC said:
A "3.7" doesn't mean anything without other factors. Class rank is a method of revealing those other factors.

Agreed. I doubt residencies or anyone else is interested in gpa, nor should they be. It's an arbitrary, meaningless number.

ItsGavinC said:
I don't think so. A #10 rank, regardless of the GPA, is much better than #25.

A "3.7" doesn't mean anything without other factors. Class rank is a method of revealing those other factors. A 3.7 isn't so impressive if the class average is a 3.96 and the bottom 10% have a 3.73. That 3.7 student is in the bottom pile of students.
Exactly. A 3.7 in a school that takes 5-6 classes a semester is not as impressive as a 3.5 at a school that takes 12 classes a semester. Class rank can also be misleading depending on how competitive your class is. For example, my rank last semester was 15 or something, but I can guarantee you that if I were in the class ahead of mine, I would be somewhere in the 30s

GPA is only relevant when comparing within the same school. I had courses where no A's were given. The highest grade given in one of my 2nd-year operative courses was 85 (B). So does this mean everyone taking the class was an idiot? No, this is where board scores come in to play, because students across the nation take the same (or at least standardized) exam. My GPA in dental school was only around 3.5. This doesn't sound to hot until you consider that I was ranked #5. The #1 guy in my class only had around 3.7. There is on such thing as a 4.0 in dental school (at least mine) because many classes don't even give A's. But this doesn't matter as long as you are making the highest grades. In other words, I didn't worry about not getting an A in that 2nd year operative course, because I got the highest grade (85). This kept me ahead of the class rank, because nobody got a higher score than me.

shootingstar said:
For those of you who are doing well in dental school, can you share your daily study schedules or how you generally prepare for a test?
Thanks

Would anyone else please share their average daily schedules (by year of study, if possible). I know time management is very important, and I'm just wondering how different students handle the work. Thanks! :thumbup:

shootingstar said:
Thanks

i heard becoming the jenna jameson of your dental school works really well..

shootingstar said:
Thanks

Hey. Let's get back to the OP.

How do you do well in dental school, especially with all the labs in addition to the lectures.

Just don't sleep a couple nights before your exams. 30 straight hours of studying can do wonders for your grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
shootingstar said:
Thanks

There is no one way or formula to do well in dental school. Your genetics has something to do with it, your school has something to do with it, your study habits has something to do with it, and along with many other factors.

I have classmates that study 10X more than I do and get less grades, on the other side of the token, I also have classmates that study 10X less than what I put it and they kick my @ss in grades.

As for me, I cram to its best! For all dental classes, it's one-nighters. For basic science courses in the first two years, usually 4 or 5 days before the test. I never study or read materials right after each class and/or go home and study at night after each day. I only study when I need to which is only during exam weeks. Besides, when you have 20 or 30 exams per semester during midterm or finals weeks, you often only have one night to study for the next test!

Often people will b1tch that "you'll never learn that way", but I believe for those of us that want to specialize, we just want to cram and get the grades/numbers and learn later as we our "hands on"! My best advice is try a bunch of ways to study and see what works for you.

Class rankings are pretty much solidified after the first two years of dental school. 3rd year has the potential to change it a little, but not so much. We just finished our last midterm exam this morning (2nd semester of 3rd year) and I can speak for many of my classmates that we simply don't have that much energy or will power to study like we did the first two years!

The common attitude toward exams now in 3rd year is that "I don't even care anymore, as long as I pass." You'll loose some level of motivation when you get into 3rd year when it comes to written examinations for courses. Perhaps other 3rd years out there and attest for this phenomenon.

not sure if i agree with that..

cram and you'll probably just pass.
the previous poster may be be able to do it that way
...it's a gamble thinking you'll be able do well that way.

ok,
imo, everyone in dental school is bright.
you can handle the material.
the problem is the volume. it is like drinking water from a fire hydrant. the sheer amout will kill you.

so..
be organized..study small amounts frequently...and review (not cram) before the exams.

meaning..within 24 hours (while material is fresh), you review/study it.
if time permits, try to prepare for the next class.
constantly go back and reread things...keep the material fresh.
make note cards..re-write your notes...whatever u must in order to keep the material "familiar".

it's not about what you stuff in your brain...it is about what you are able to recall during exams.
it does you no good to cram the last all night and them not be able to remember anything.

anyways,
the difference, imo, between an A, B or C is study time.
generally, it is a exponential curve.
generally, you may have to study 10+ more hours to get those last 2-3 questions correct on an exam.

also being organized with your boards..
the material is still "there" and not totally forgotten.

Yah-E said:
There is no one way or formula to do well in dental school. Your genetics has something to do with it, your school has something to do with it, your study habits has something to do with it, and along with many other factors.

I have classmates that study 10X more than I do and get less grades, on the other side of the token, I also have classmates that study 10X less than what I put it and they kick my @ss in grades.

As for me, I cram to its best! For all dental classes, it's one-nighters. For basic science courses in the first two years, usually 4 or 5 days before the test. I never study or read materials right after each class and/or go home and study at night after each day. I only study when I need to which is only during exam weeks. Besides, when you have 20 or 30 exams per semester during midterm or finals weeks, you often only have one night to study for the next test!

Often people will b1tch that "you'll never learn that way", but I believe for those of us that want to specialize, we just want to cram and get the grades/numbers and learn later as we our "hands on"! My best advice is try a bunch of ways to study and see what works for you.

Class rankings are pretty much solidified after the first two years of dental school. 3rd year has the potential to change it a little, but not so much. We just finished our last midterm exam this morning (2nd semester of 3rd year) and I can speak for many of my classmates that we simply don't have that much energy or will power to study like we did the first two years!

The common attitude toward exams now in 3rd year is that "I don't even care anymore, as long as I pass." You'll loose some level of motivation when you get into 3rd year when it comes to written examinations for courses. Perhaps other 3rd years out there and attest for this phenomenon.

Mr. So-So said:
not sure if i agree with that..

cram and you'll probably just pass.
the previous poster may be be able to do it that way
...it's a gamble thinking you'll be able do well that way.

ok,
imo, everyone in dental school is bright.
you can handle the material.
the problem is the volume. it is like drinking water from a fire hydrant. the sheer amout will kill you.

so..
be organized..study small amounts frequently...and review (not cram) before the exams.

meaning..within 24 hours (while material is fresh), you review/study it.
if time permits, try to prepare for the next class.
constantly go back and reread things...keep the material fresh.
make note cards..re-write your notes...whatever u must in order to keep the material "familiar".

it's not about what you stuff in your brain...it is about what you are able to recall during exams.
it does you no good to cram the last all night and them not be able to remember anything.

anyways,
the difference, imo, between an A, B or C is study time.
generally, it is a exponential curve.
generally, you may have to study 10+ more hours to get those last 2-3 questions correct on an exam.

also being organized with your boards..
the material is still "there" and not totally forgotten.

Wow...way too much for me! If you do this, you may be burnt out before you know it!

Yah-E said:

I'll 100% agree with this.

Midoc said:
I'll 100% agree with this.

I think it begins to rear it's head towards the end of the 2nd year. I'm soooo tired of taking ridiculous exams that test on trivial and unimportant information (often so the professor can prove that his knowledge base is superior to ours, when in fact he probably would fail his own exam).

Geez. Is this what dental school becomes in the third year? =) =(

jk5177 said:
Geez. Is this what dental school becomes in the third year? =) =(
Thats why i am glad that I only have to be in dental school for 3 years

To really get an edge for the 4.0, i'd suggest taking speed or crack to get you through those long nights :rolleyes:

From what I hear, there were 5 people with 4.0's last semester (our first). Goes to show ya that schools are sooo different in the way they give out grades!

lie, cheat, steal, and backstab... jk ;) Treat school like a job.. put in the time, show up, do something constructive when you patient no-shows on you, stay organized. Also try to do fun things in your free time even if you have to suck up some credit card debt, if you are unhappy your grade will probably suffer. I'd also keep you stats to yourself unless you want the whole class to know, and become a target for other gunners.