How to get an ER Tech job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaRanj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a premed student who will be a freshman at UCSC next year majoring in health sciences and was wondering how I would go about obtaining a job as an ER Tech at the local hospital. I spent this summer getting my EMT license, and so I am open to also working on an ambulance. However, I believe that I would have more patient contacts at a hospital and overall learn more. I am open to any advice or suggestions, and I am also wondering what kind of stats I would need to get some sort of a financial scholarship for medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a premed student who will be a freshman at UCSC next year majoring in health sciences and was wondering how I would go about obtaining a job as an ER Tech at the local hospital. I spent this summer getting my EMT license, and so I am open to also working on an ambulance. However, I believe that I would have more patient contacts at a hospital and overall learn more. I am open to any advice or suggestions, and I am also wondering what kind of stats I would need to get some sort of a financial scholarship for medical school.

Usually hospitals want you to have some field experience before applying for ED Tech positions. I'd suggest you start applying to both ambo/xport companies and to the hospitals. ED Tech jobs are quite competitive so don't set your hopes too high. Just apply wherever you can. Also get some volunteer time in a free clinic w your EMT. This will help in making the argument that you've got the practical background/experience and not just some useless EMT course (b/c, honestly, EMT-B courses are pretty worthless when it comes to preparing you for the ED Tech role -- about as helpful as a first aid class w/ lifeguard trng/O2/CPR-PR/AED, really.... about the only EMT-B skills not covered there are the drugs, and you won't be giving those as an ED Tech anyway....)

I'm an ER tech so here's my two cents: experience does help but honestly its not the most important thing in the world, since in the ER you don't really do a whole lot that you can't be trained for in a few days time. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing is knowing someone in the hospital that can vouch for you and talk the supervisor into getting you the job. The other thing is your level of persistnece, calling the supervisor and bugging them till they give you an interview where you have to impress the crap of them. good luck, and pm me if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an ER tech so here's my two cents: experience does help but honestly its not the most important thing in the world, since in the ER you don't really do a whole lot that you can't be trained for in a few days time. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing is knowing someone in the hospital that can vouch for you and talk the supervisor into getting you the job. The other thing is your level of persistnece, calling the supervisor and bugging them till they give you an interview where you have to impress the crap of them. good luck, and pm me if you have any questions.

This is true. (I also work in a trauma center/ED as well as on an in-pt unit.) I know, though, that none of the hospitals here will generally hire people w/o experience. Also, most of the job needs more than a few days' time. (The hospital I work at gives EMT-Bs a 6-week full-time training to bring them up to speed as ER Techs. For my position, which is slightly beyond the ED Tech scope of practice, the training is 8 weeks total.) What ED Techs do all depends upon the hospital where you work and that will determine the expectations placed on the ED Tech applicant in terms of experience. Some places utilize ED Techs as though they were ED RNs w/o the ability to administer meds (i.e., you perform a number of minor procedures, run labs, do phleb, start IVs, perform wound care, perform assessments, act as a scrub tech, perform physical managements, etc.).

Never managed to get one, despite trying. I worked on an ambulance for a while, but ER tech jobs were tough to get.

It completely depends on your region. I worked as an ER tech in 3 states and each one was different in what they required. At one, you had to be an EMT-basic, another was a CNA license, still another was just 6 months experience. So, I would check and see what the requirements are at your hospital.

If its EMT, then it would be good to get a little field experience if you don't have luck right away. If it is CNA, then you'll need that license, but can awlays work in the hospital someplace and transfer in. If its experience, well then you need to use your EMT license pre-hospital for a bit beforehand.

Some places even have an ED tech course. I completed that class (which was about as long as an EMT course, though geared towards EDs) and it seemed to help me out with applications.

So, I guess if I were you I would do the following.

1) check to see the requirements
2) look around for volunteer/paid EMT jobs in the meantime
3) check and see if there are ED tech courses you can take in your area
(btw anyone who makes a good ED tech course in the future including a book is going to make bank)
4) See if there is a position you do qualify for (transporter, nurse aid, etc) in the hospital so that you can potentially transfer in

That about sums it up. Hope it helps.

Didn't really read the other replies, but here's what I can say:

I work as an ED tech in a busy department in or around Boston. I have worked here full time since 2006, when it was easier to get a job than it is now.

My department (and affiliated hospitals) require either an EMT, CNA, or 2+ years tech experience. You can mix and match. CNA is preferred over EMT.

I got my EMT-B cert, applied, interviewed, and got the job. The hospital then sent me to a variety of classes: EKG, phlebotomy, an ortho class (for fiberglass splints, cast removal, ring cutter, crutches/canes, air casts, Bledsoe boots, post-op shoes, etc), orientation to sterile fields (for assisting in ED procedures, Foleys, etc), psychiatric non-violent intervention, restraints, and basic self-defense, and some other garbage.

I say to try and get experience with your EMT, or at least volunteer in the ED and get to know people. They definitely prefer to hire people with good references from WITHIN the hospital. If you can get phlebotomy experience (but not necessarily take a course), it might help. Or any experience in any of the technical stuff you will do as an ED tech.

You will work hard, and make less than pretty much EVERYONE else in the department. My secretary girlfriend makes a lot more than I do. But I do make more than I was offered by local EMT services.