How to get J1 visa as AMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xschen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most people who care about visas are IMGs and they can't provide the information I need. I would like to know what process does it take for an AMG to get a visa (which organization sponsors it, what paperwork I need, how long takes, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

I assume you're an AMG who is not a US citizen -- i.e. you're at a US medical school, on an F visa. If that's not the case, your question doesn't make much sense, or I'm missing something. The short answer is "the exact same way IMG's get visas, with one addition".

You have three options for visas:

1. An OPT -- the OPT visa is an extension of your F visa. The F visa allows for up to 12 months of work based training in the same field as your degree. As such, residency counts. An OPT is an extension of your F. Your school gets it for you. It's automatic, simple, and free. The only problem is getting the dates of your OPT correct -- you need them to line up with the start of orientation. I've had interns with an OPT start of 7/1, which causes a few problems (but not much, this is minor). This is only good for the first year, but gives you more time to explore the two other options.

2. An H Visa. This is an employer sponsored visa. They must process and pay for it. Not all residency programs will do so. In general, it's the "better" option. It does not force you to return to your home country, and more importantly if you end up with a job on the H after training, your employer can sponsor you for a green card and US citizenship. Major downsides are costs to the employer (so many won't sponsor it), it can take awhile (not a problem if you're on OPT), and it's only good for 6 years. Plus spouse can't work on an H.

3. A J Visa. This is an employee sponsored visa -- you get it and pay for it. You get it via the ECFMG: http://www.ecfmg.org/evsp/application-online.html Note that you won't need ECFMG certification if you're an AMG, but otherwise the process is identical. The J requires that you return back to your country of origin for 2 years following training, or pursue a J waiver job. It's fast and easy. You'll need a letter from your home country to get one, which is usually easy to get. Spousal visa is a full work visa.

More details, see stickied thread at the top of this forum titled "Orientation about visas"

Reactions: 1 user