how to get money to study abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentMed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don;t think canada offers money even to canadians if you planning to study abroad...or do they? Do you guys know how to get the funding?

Members don't see this ad.

I don;t think canada offers money even to canadians if you planning to study abroad...or do they? Do you guys know how to get the funding?

Same places med students in Canada get their loans:
Provincial loan programs (such as OSAP)
bank line of credit (pick anyone of them)
bank of ma and pa

Same places med students in Canada get their loans:
Provincial loan programs (such as OSAP)
bank line of credit (pick anyone of them)
bank of ma and pa

do the provincial OSAP raelly do give you money? I know they do if you are going to a school in CANADA... I don;t understand giving money "investing" in somebody's studies and you donno if they'll comeback...
Are you sure about OSAP though?

Members don't see this ad :)
StudentMed's reasoning is right! you cant get provincial funding if you are not studying in that province.

If you are planning on going aboard, you can only get federal funding... and that can amount to 7,000 dollars a year.

do the provincial OSAP raelly do give you money? I know they do if you are going to a school in CANADA... I don;t understand giving money "investing" in somebody's studies and you donno if they'll comeback...
Are you sure about OSAP though?

I know for a fact that you can get OSAP loans while studying abroad. However, they have a condition that in order to be eligible, you must not be receiving federal aid from other governments/states etc. So if you're a Canadian who qualifies for FAFSA in the United States, for example, you are ineligible for OSAP.

I know for a fact that you can get OSAP loans while studying abroad. However, they have a condition that in order to be eligible, you must not be receiving federal aid from other governments/states etc. So if you're a Canadian who qualifies for FAFSA in the United States, for example, you are ineligible for OSAP.
does this only apply to US?
I am not even sure about goverment funding.... cause according to their website it;s the same deal.... they give you funding as long as it;s a canadian university...

Sorry, I misspoke. You can get federal funding from the Canada Student Loans Program. In most provinces however, such as Ontario, you apply for this funding via OSAP. You may not get the provincial amount, but you'll be eligible for the federal amount... about $7,000 max/yr. Depending on your province of residence you may actually be eligible for the provincial portion as well, Alberta comes to mind. In any case check on your individual situation.

Sorry, I misspoke. You can get federal funding from the Canada Student Loans Program. In most provinces however, such as Ontario, you apply for this funding via OSAP. You may not get the provincial amount, but you'll be eligible for the federal amount... about $7,000 max/yr. Depending on your province of residence you may actually be eligible for the provincial portion as well, Alberta comes to mind. In any case check on your individual situation.
Yea i definetly going to check that in detail with OSAP. So they loan you money even if you are planning to study abroad??? How sure are you guys about this? 90%? 50%?Cause yea it;s hard to believe that they would provide student loans to study outside of North America.

Yes, you can get federal funding even though you are studying abroad. The amount however is limited to a maximum of 7,000 dollars.

Yea i definetly going to check that in detail with OSAP. So they loan you money even if you are planning to study abroad??? How sure are you guys about this? 90%? 50%?Cause yea it;s hard to believe that they would provide student loans to study outside of North America.

Yes, many of my classmates have loans from OSAP. Don't count of getting a very significant amount of money though.