How to Get Paneled with Insurance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych_0

Attending
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting up a new practice and have been reading through the longitudinal thread on here from Sushirolls, which is fantastic btw. Was planning to do cash only, but I also wanted to get paneled with insurance to capture some of the Spravato market (and to at least have a game plan for if the cash market just isn't there). I did some searching on Google, but I'm kinda stuck at square one for getting paneled with insurance. Is there a primary website to start from? Closest I could find was this website. Or do I have to contact each insurance carrier one by one? Sorry if this is an over asked question, but I could not find anything on the search bar.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Starting up a new practice and have been reading through the longitudinal thread on here from Sushirolls, which is fantastic btw. Was planning to do cash only, but I also wanted to get paneled with insurance to capture some of the Spravato market (and to at least have a game plan for if the cash market just isn't there). I did some searching on Google, but I'm kinda stuck at square one for getting paneled with insurance. Is there a primary website to start from? Closest I could find was this website. Or do I have to contact each insurance carrier one by one? Sorry if this is an over asked question, but I could not find anything on the search bar.

This is a one-by-one thing typically. So yes, figure out which insurance carriers you ight want to take and start digging through their websites; they should have some kind of information and/or forms to start the process. As to what insurances you should take, ask around to get a sense of who pays well and consistently in your region, very locality-specific.

Reactions: 1 users
One by one.

Look for the parts on the insurance company websites that say contracting, onboarding, or provider/physician services. Those tabs will usually get you closer. Then if not entirely clear, call up one of their numbers and you might get lucky and connected to appropriate entity in their organization to send you the application packet.

Really is best to just do yourself. My experience with a billing company, several years ago that also had the contracting services. They screwed up their part of data entry, and many insurance companies still had elements that had to be done by the 'provider' or the contracting people felt they couldn't do and forwarded to me. This means you still have documents you are looking over and signing. The total time involved, easier to just do yourself, once and correctly. Prevents future headaches.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only paneled with a couple insurers, so easier to just do myself. As others have said, insurance paneling services can run the gamut and many are terrible. If you are going to use one, make sure you get some feedback from colleagues who have used them in the past. There are some good ones that will save you a good deal of time, but you have to wade through the chaff to find them.

How do you recommend finding out which are the best payors in an area if you're moving to a new area and don't know anyone there yet?

How do you recommend finding out which are the best payors in an area if you're moving to a new area and don't know anyone there yet?

Everyone I have paneled with has sent the fee schedule over with the paperwork to sign before getting fully signed on to the panel. I declined to panel with one that paid less than Medicare.

1) make an excel spread sheet of what the closest psych practices are doing, and even the solo IM/FM clinics.
2) The ones that are more represented on your excel spread sheet are likely to correlate to 'better'
3) Find a PCP office in area and ask to set up personal meeting with their doc. offer to pay for dinner. Get your insurance recon from them as surrogate.

Everyone I have paneled with has sent the fee schedule over with the paperwork to sign before getting fully signed on to the panel. I declined to panel with one that paid less than Medicare.
Not all send pre-signing....

Reactions: 1 user
Find out if you area has any large employers what insurance they offer their employees