How to get research without home program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otologic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what is the best possible way to get ENT research given that I do not have a home program. I am currently a second year and will have around 4 weeks free time after my step I. Should I just find someone close by and email them and hope for the best? Should I keep emailing as many doctors as I can?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Email a bunch of people until someone takes pity on you. You can also go to conferences and try to find someone that way, though that requires a degree of schmoozing not everyone has.

Thank you for the reply. Yea I guess i am just going to keep emailing. Unfortunately some are affiliated with other schools and take those students over others.

Even if you can't find something, a couple other options:

1) Do something ENT-related with the dept of surgery at your school. Lots of endocrine and surg onc stuff would overlap a bit. If you have a derm department, someone there might be doing some head and neck skin cancer research. You may have to be a little creative.

2) Do a research year between M3 and M4. Ideally, find a spot at a bigger program with lots of well known faculty and a program where you might be interested in ultimately matching. I find myself recommending this option to underclassmen more and more lately and I think it can be a very wise move for certain people. You could simultaneously get a ton of publications, get some good letters from well-known people who will actually know you, and if you work hard enough and are well liked, maybe even solidify yourself a spot at that program (definitely not guaranteed, but either way you still get pubs and letters). Lots of people on the trail this year seemed to have done research years, either on their own or as part of their school's requirements.

Reactions: 1 user