How to get rotation spot at MD hospital as DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the prodogy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience in getting a rotation spot for one of the local hospitals here. Thing is, this hospital is closely associated with another MD instate school in, so getting a spot might be hard. Reason I want to rotate through here is because this is the only hospital with residency spots in my state and I've noticed they take DOs, and I would preferably like to stay in town. How do you go about contacting/getting noticed by this hospital to hopefully do a rotation under them?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Most rotations for DOs are at MD hospitals. Few osteopathic hospitals exist anymore. You have to call the Department of Medical Education at the hospital and ask how to apply for a rotation. Often, you have to be doing a core rotation or 4th year rotation to be allowed to apply in my experience. A lot of places, again in my experience, do not want third year students who haven't completed all their cores yet. Also, there could be information on the hospital's website for rotations. Some hospitals will have chairs for osteopathic rotations and separate chairs for allopathic rotations. Just give a call.

Yes, you need to call and ask.

It really doesn't matter if your a DO or MD, except Hospital for Specialty Surgery in NYC, they don't take DO's.

What I have noticed is that many hospitals only take students from schools directly affiliated with them. I called about 15 NYC & NJ hospitals looking for an OB/GYN rotation, got turned down from all b/c I was not an SGU or NYCOM student. Especially SGU, they have a strangle hold on NYC hospitals.

It ended up working out perfect in the end b/c I have rotations at my top two MD programs, but I easily made over 100 phone calls in the spring trying to setup rotations and called for 2.5 months to get a rotation at my Top MD spot, but it paid off, they take only one student and month and I got a spot.