How to get your mind relaxed after a stressful shift

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyanide12345678

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but if I get a stressful/interesting case, it's hard for me to turn off my mind after the end of my shift. Just took care of an aortic endoleak with ischemic bowel at a middle of nowhere place and successfully got her to an OR. Had her packaged in a helicopter by the time the radiologist even read the images -_-

My body needs sleep, but my mind isn't turning off. Just revved up on adrenaline from the end of the shift. How do you guys relax after a stressful shift? What tricks do you guys have for good sleep hygiene despite shift work and stressful work. Maybe practicing independently is still very new to me as a pgy3 moonlighter so my stress levels are likely higher than you veterans.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Good scotch and whiskey.

I mean, exercise, going outside, friends and family, hobbies. Something something work life balance.

Reactions: 12 users
Good scotch and whiskey.

I mean, exercise, going outside, friends and family, hobbies. Something something work life balance.
Don't forget yoga, meditation, blah blah wellness blah blah work life balance

Members don't see this ad :)

or

or

But yeah...the exercise thing is a good idea too

Reactions: 4 users
The best thing, hands down, are mandatory online wellness modules.

• Haha
Reactions: 19 users
Maybe it's just me, but if I get a stressful/interesting case, it's hard for me to turn off my mind after the end of my shift. Just took care of an aortic endoleak with ischemic bowel at a middle of nowhere place and successfully got her to an OR. Had her packaged in a helicopter by the time the radiologist even read the images -_-

My body needs sleep, but my mind isn't turning off. Just revved up on adrenaline from the end of the shift. How do you guys relax after a stressful shift? What tricks do you guys have for good sleep hygiene despite shift work and stressful work. Maybe practicing independently is still very new to me as a pgy3 moonlighter so my stress levels are likely higher than you veterans.
1) try to sleep.

2) If unable to sleep, then exercise, to the point of complete exhaustion. Then sleep. (Don't go the ETOH/chemical route, can backfire).

3) If that doesn't work look at calendar and start planning 10 days off, super relaxing vacation somewhere beautiful and amazing.

4) If that doesn't work, tell medical director you need to cut your shifts by 25% or you'll have to leave and find a new job.

5) If that doesn't work, find new job.

6) If that doesn't work, find new career with less emotional exhaustion where there's no nights, weekends, holidays and where you don't have to see things that give you PTSD.

7) Retire.

I'm on #6.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Option 1: Small glass of scotch

Option 2:

10mg melatonin
Valerian root
+/- ambien

Regular exercise helps me sleep better (insomnia), but I don't recommend exercising after your shift (unless you've got several hours before bedtime). It makes it much more difficult for me to go to sleep and I'm even more wired.

Dark room, AC turned down. I usually watch t.v., read or play my nintendo switch in bed until I get tired. You're not supposed to watch a bright screen, but it seems to work for me.

Reactions: 1 users
1) try to sleep.

2) If unable to sleep, then exercise, to the point of complete exhaustion. Then sleep. (Don't go the ETOH/chemical route, can backfire).

3) If that doesn't work look at calendar and start planning 10 days off, super relaxing vacation somewhere beautiful and amazing.

4) If that doesn't work, tell medical director you need to cut your shifts by 25% or you'll have to leave and find a new job.

5) If that doesn't work, find new job.

6) If that doesn't work, find new career with less emotional exhaustion where there's no nights, weekends, holidays and where you don't have to see things that give you PTSD.

7) Retire.

I'm on #6.

I am also on #6, FWIW.

I found that aside from exercise, if I can get my brain on something else, that helps. Planning vacations helps. Sometimes I read the tax code. (seriously.) Mostly, I find that some stoic philosophy helps me empty my brain... Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius especially. Translations matter, though. The Daily Stoic is another great place for snippits that are easily digestible and something else to consider. There's a website, but I love the book by the same name.

I have a dedicated grieving Scotch that I break out when conditions necessitate. (The Laphroaig 18)

Reactions: 6 users
I have found living 30 miles from the hospital is a good thing.
Time in the car = transition time.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
youtube rabbit hole. good books. if it works for my schedule, JIU JITSU

Option 1: Small glass of scotch

Option 2:

10mg melatonin
Valerian root
+/- ambien

Regular exercise helps me sleep better (insomnia), but I don't recommend exercising after your shift (unless you've got several hours before bedtime). It makes it much more difficult for me to go to sleep and I'm even more wired.

Dark room, AC turned down. I usually watch t.v., read or play my nintendo switch in bed until I get tired. You're not supposed to watch a bright screen, but it seems to work for me.

How do you feel about Ambien?

I started taking it for a bout of insomnia (Pedi-heme-onc month, that **** is haunting) but got worried I was gonna get hooked and stopped. It worked like magic though.

Also I don’t wanna pull a tiger woods or accidentally sleep-tweet something offensive.

I started taking it for a bout of insomnia (Pedi-heme-onc month, that **** is haunting) but got worried I was gonna get hooked and stopped. It worked like magic though.

Also I don’t wanna pull a tiger woods or accidentally sleep-tweet something offensive.

I think it's a fantastic drug. 10mg is the perfect dose for a full nights sleep (6-7hrs). Don't take it more than 4-5 days in a row or you will develop rebound insomnia and develop a physical dependency and increased tolerance where you start to wake up after 4 hours, etc.. Unlike other sleep aids, it preserves REM sleep. Almost no side effects upon waking. No cognitive impairment, clear head, no lethargy, no grogginess, etc.. Excellent drug for switching your body clock if say...you are coming off nights and need to go to bed at a normal time to switch back to days, etc.. Under no circumstances should you be taking it every night.

Lunesta seems to be a little safer.

TH wellness courses will fix anything.

In all seriousness, Other than being physically tired from a tough shifts, I don't carry any mental baggage home.

Good luck in figuring this out as I don't think it is an easy fix.

In all seriousness, Other than being physically tired from a tough shifts, I don't carry any mental baggage home.

Were you always this way, or was it something you cultivated over time?

At some point we die inside. But Pixar movies make us cry for no reason. Maybe not everyone is broken.

TH wellness courses will fix anything.

What about the buddy of the RMD who shot himself in the head after sending his family inside the house? Things got all touchy feely for a month or two and then back to business as usual.

What about the buddy of the RMD who shot himself in the head after sending his family inside the house? Things got all touchy feely for a month or two and then back to business as usual.

I’m pretty sure he was being sarcastic...

I used it in medschool because I (foolishly) would pull all nighters before tests and completely muck up my circadian rhythm. Worked like a charm and would stop after 2-3 days of usage because I was back to normal, no side effects for me at all.

I have always been this way. The only thing in my life that I give a second thought or affect my sleep is when I get into arguments with my wife which may happen a couple times a year.

My motto in life is to do what is morally right and to the best of my abilities. I sleep well even if there is a bad outcome. This definitely applies to work. I don't Monday Morning QB otherwise it will drive you crazy.

I’m surprised no one’s mentioned sex as an option.

We are a sad bunch....

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I have always been this way. The only thing in my life that I give a second thought or affect my sleep is when I get into arguments with my wife which may happen a couple times a year.

86702C4D-3EC3-4E50-BB11-FDCD0537D4B9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users