How to go about choosing the right program to be an administrator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnappleCapFacts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am working with a friend on researching paths to become a hospital administrator. I am more new to this than her, so I have some basic questions.

First, is a hospital administrator and hospital manager the same thing?

Second, my friend just graduated from college and it was only recent that she decided to become a hospital administrator. What exactly should she be doing at the moment besides studying for the GREs to increase her chances of being accepted into a program? Should she be volunteering, working, just focusing on apps? So far, she worked as an admin at a community outreach center. She was also a medical assistant at a private practice for a doctor.

If she chooses to pursue an MPH, should she concentrate on health management and policy? Also, it seems like the consensus is that MPH>MHA because MPH is more "versatile". What about an MPH makes it more versatile? If you focus on administration, wouldn't it not matter which degree you pursue?

Lastly, should she specifically look for programs that will get her certified by CAHME? Does this certification make her eligibility to be a hospital admin more "legitimate"?

I know these are basic questions but I just started looking into this field since I am a pre-dental student. Plus, there seems to be so many ways to get to be a hospital admin so I am curious to know which is the best route. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak too much to the administration side, but I'll try to answer what I can.

First, is a hospital administrator and hospital manager the same thing?
I would assume these are pretty close to the same thing. It depends on the company really.

What exactly should she be doing at the moment besides studying for the GREs to increase her chances of being accepted into a program? Should she be volunteering, working, just focusing on apps? So far, she worked as an admin at a community outreach center. She was also a medical assistant at a private practice for a doctor.

She should really be working on gaining work/volunteer experience in hospital administration. Programs are going to want to see that she knows what she is getting into. The best way for her to do that is to gain practical work experience.

If she chooses to pursue an MPH, should she concentrate on health management and policy?
Yes.

Also, it seems like the consensus is that MPH>MHA because MPH is more "versatile". What about an MPH makes it more versatile? If you focus on administration, wouldn't it not matter which degree you pursue?
An MPH (at a CEPH accredited program) is considered more "versatile" because it requires that you not only take classes in your concentration, but also in all five core areas of public health. Additionally, many of your classes will have a public health spin (and particularly public health policy). An MHA is going to be much more focused on the actual administration side of things. It will be much more like an MBA.

Lastly, should she specifically look for programs that will get her certified by CAHME? Does this certification make her eligibility to be a hospital admin more "legitimate"?
Yes, she should look at CAHME programs. CAHME is the accrediting body for MHA degrees. By attending a CAHME accredited program, employers will know that her degree meets certain expectations.