How to go from 9 to 11-12 on VR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erythrocyte666

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible? Like in a month assuming the sciences are fine? I've heard a few older posts on here improve by long, intense daily practice - like 6-10 passages a day.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah this is a great question. I was wondering if it would help to take a verbal test like every other day or something

Members don't see this ad :)
Wrote using the Kaplan books: 8. Used TPR and got an 11. Now I know this is an n=1 case, but the TPR method really made things click for me in VR.

I have said it in other threads, but I will say it again. You are not being tested on the content of the passage, you are being tested on the person who wrote it. Pay attention to the author. We would all have no problem answering a content question such as, "According to the passage, did X or Y happen first?" As we know, though, the question we are likely to see is, "According to the passage, how did the author feel when Y occurred before X?"

You cannot read VR the same way that you read for everything else in your life, which is what makes it so tricky. Imagine that the author is reading the passage directly to you, and it might allow you to focus on the author's tone.

Above all, figure out where you tend to get tripped up. If an answer has information that is in no way mentioned in the passage, then that answer, no matter how good it sounds, is wrong. It takes a lot of practice to get used to their questions and the types of answers.

tl;dr: it takes a lot of practice, but it also takes a change in mindset. Focus on the author.

Reactions: 1 users
I have seen students with 4 reach 10. Students with 5 reach 11. But I have also seen students with an 8 stay at 8. Anything is possible. What separates the people who improve from those who do not? It's the day to day dedication. Improving on verbal takes daily practice. I cannot stress this enough. When you struggle on a daily basis, you will see yourself improve dramatically over time. Some students need weeks to prepare, some need months. Depending on where you are, you should give yourself the appropriate amount of time to really tackle verbal head on.Dedication is very important, but so is approaching the passage the right way.

Like LChristmas suggests, look for the author's tone. This is an integral part of MCAT verbal. Ask yourself, "Why did the author write this passage?" If you can answer this question after reading the passage and stick to it while answering the corresponding questions, you are well on your way to success.

Reactions: 1 users
Wrote using the Kaplan books: 8. Used TPR and got an 11. Now I know this is an n=1 case, but the TPR method really made things click for me in VR.

I have said it in other threads, but I will say it again. You are not being tested on the content of the passage, you are being tested on the person who wrote it. Pay attention to the author. We would all have no problem answering a content question such as, "According to the passage, did X or Y happen first?" As we know, though, the question we are likely to see is, "According to the passage, how did the author feel when Y occurred before X?"

You cannot read VR the same way that you read for everything else in your life, which is what makes it so tricky. Imagine that the author is reading the passage directly to you, and it might allow you to focus on the author's tone.

Above all, figure out where you tend to get tripped up. If an answer has information that is in no way mentioned in the passage, then that answer, no matter how good it sounds, is wrong. It takes a lot of practice to get used to their questions and the types of answers.

tl;dr: it takes a lot of practice, but it also takes a change in mindset. Focus on the author.

Thanks very much for the detailed input.
I've frequently heard about the bolded statement as the best way to improve verbal. What do you concretely think/visualize while reading the passage? For example, do you imagine exaggerated emotional expression when you imagine the author's face or something?

Your best bet is to read passages at a pace that allows you to finish within 2.5-4 minutes (2.5 for the easiest, 4 for the very most difficult). Practice getting the main flow of ideas at that pace. Then, practice doing the questions in the remaining time without throwing away too much time on any single question. That's the very most successful strategy out of dozens in my opinion and experience. How long it takes to build a particular skill is a wild card. Work your butt off and see how far you can come in your limited time. It may work out; it may not. There's only one way to find out.