how to handle a criminal background, going into social work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackSkirtTetra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was in college, a group of friends and I were arrested for and convicted of shoplifting from Target. Those of us who admitted to what we did had to pay $200 fines and spend half a day in jail. It was a stupid move, but when you're 22 years old you think you're invincible and you do a lot of stupid things (I did, at least). That's the extent of any legal trouble I've ever had.

Now, though, I'm in graduate school for my MSW and I'm trying to get into a practicum placement (at a psychiatric hospital) and I've been refused because of it. They asked, I disclosed, and they refused (which I understand is their right). They said this was the only reason they couldn't take me on. My grades are near-perfect, and I have excellent references.

My jurisdiction does not allow expungement because I plead guilty (I wish I could also have plead stupid).

I can pursue other agencies for placements, and that's what I'm doing now. But when I asked them, my adviser in undergrad and my adviser in graduate school had both told me that this would not affect my ability to get practicum placements or jobs because it wasn't "serious enough," but now I'm wondering if they were just trying to encourage me not to give up.

Is it common to get denied practicums or jobs because of this? I basically just want to know what I'm in for so I can plan more adequately...should I apply to 20 more places, expecting that 19 will reject me? Or what?

Thanks, all! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I see that no one has answered. I haven't answered because I am not in a SW program nor am I familiar with their requirements for admission to grad school or practicum/internship placements.

I admit - I am also a little confused and uncertain how I would feel as a mental health employer - hiring someone with your background. Shoplifting as a teenager seems developmentally different to me than stealing as a 22 year old. It would make me wonder about insight, judgment, character, and maturation. How old are you now? I can imagine this is going to be a hurdle for you - not insurmountable - but something that you are going to have to accept the consequences of your actions and then prove yourself. But I am guessing you already know this - yes?

In my counseling program, we had to have a criminal background check when we applied to the program - before we could be formally admitted. I can imagine that in my program, your criminal record might have been a barrier to admission or raised a red flag because of the age when the crime was committed. I can also imagine it will be a barrier in some of your placement sites.

Was that a requirement in your program? And they admitted you knowing your criminal record? Either way - I would go to the program director - and ask her/his advice/counsel/help on what placement sites in your area might offer you a placement.

Personally, I wouldn't blanket apply, hoping to get something - anything. I would strategically make connections and network with people who already know me and my character and could open doors for me. Ask each of your excellent references what places they think are most likely to offer you a chance to prove that you have matured and learned from your misstep.

Being non-defensive and not blaming others (not that you are or have) will go a long way toward persuading others to take a chance on you.

Hope you are able to find a way to integrate this experience and move forward as a mental health professional.

Vasa Lisa

I am *cough* in my late twenties *cough*...I feel old.

I forgot to mention that my adviser now is the program director, so I've already asked her. She said it shouldn't be a big deal, because it wasn't a serious charge like child abuse or drug dealing would be. That's the answer I've gotten from basically everybody in academia that I've asked.

I'd assumed they were right and that my practicum placement wouldn't make a big deal about it either, but now I'm not so sure. Since posting this, I've called two agencies and left messages asking what their policies were for both practicums and new hires with criminal histories. I'm waiting to hear back from one or both of them...

In my counseling program, we had to have a criminal background check when we applied to the program - before we could be formally admitted. I can imagine that in my program, your criminal record might have been a barrier to admission or raised a red flag because of the age when the crime was committed.
I went through the same background check disclosed everything up-front, and I was accepted into every program I applied to. *shrug*

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you are doing everything possible to address this and that your program is super supportive. Hang in there!

Vasa Lisa

How is your practicum search coming? I hope you will post back with your outcome. I am both curious and I think it would be useful for others in this field.

Both/And

How is your practicum search coming? I hope you will post back with your outcome. I am both curious and I think it would be useful for others in this field.

Both/And

I agree. Good luck, BST.

Re: various programs letting you in despite your background and the obstacles in finding a practicum. I'm super cynical about academia and social work, so please take this with the requisite grain of salt. But honestly, I think masters program admissions committees a) are sloppy and/or b) don't really care whether you have a tough go of it once you're in as long as they get your money. In my MSW program (I left after one term) I was admitted despite clearly articulating a desire to specialize in a particular area. I wrote about it in my personal statement, stipulated it as an undergrad concentration on my CV, it was all over my transcript, my letter writers wrote about it. When it came time to prep applications for second year internship, I discovered that I would be unable to interview in my area because all of those internships were allocated for first year students (where they give you an internship outside of your area of interest and previous experience) and second year macro students. So, although the program indicated on their website that they have placements in my area, those internships were only available to people not wanting to pursue clinical practice, or people who didn't actually want to work in that area. In other words, they took me (in both senses of the word) and my money, knowing full well I'd never be able to fulfill the training I hoped to receive. They got their tuition and couldn't have cared less.

I hope that this is no more than a hiccup and that you get a good practicum despite perhaps receiving some overly optimistic advice.

I know nothing about s.w. but....could you get a substance abuse practicum?

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

hi i was wondering how finding a practicum turned out for you? I'm in the same predicament

Most applications for anything asks for prior criminal history. You may need to seek advice from the licensing board as it would not be good to continue with SW degree and not gain licensure. Anymore you have to do your due diligence and not take risks that goes down as a criminal record to maintain your rights for employment. All these records are connected so it is difficult to escape your past.

I have some mistakes from my past that I have had to disclose at all of the various stages of my career. It has not prevented me from making it through the hurdles and I have found that honest and full disclosure has been the most helpful. Also, I have a coherent narrative to explain why I made those mistakes then, and how I have changed that reassures people that I am not that same person. Just about anyone who has worked in this field for a while can tell the difference between someone who has learned from their mistakes and changed and someone who is still minimizing or rationalizing.

I think it depends on where you're applying as to how strict they are with this criteria. There is a place to explain these things on the state licensing and you will certainly not be the first person with history when you apply.

Find out what your state laws are about criminal backgrounds and hiring.

Certain questions are legal to ask, and certain ones are grey questions intended to get at information that can't be directly asked about. In most states, I believe you can only ask directly about *felony convictions* (I think, I'm not a lawyer). Employers can get around that by asking "do you have a criminal background?" which is a vague question and you might then volunteer information (e.g., info about an arrest without a conviction) that you don't have to.

There are lots and lots of websites about this, e.g., http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/state-laws-use-arrests-convictions-employment.html, http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/getting-hired-with-arrest-conviction-record.html