General Admissions & OTCAS How to improve cumulative gpa after graduating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makingmoves2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you improve your cumulative GPA after graduating??? Any tips or advice would be nice. Please no negative comments. I'm looking into applying at different schools for 2015 cycle....I'm going to take the GRE also this year.

The schools I'm looking at if I don't get into 2015 cycle
Tennessee State University
Belmont University
Milligan College
University of Tennessee State
Abilene Christian University---if I don't get accepted
University of Toledo
Cleveland State University
and more.

Members don't see this ad.

My fiance had a low GPA and had to retake classes like anatomy, physiology, and chemistry to improve her GPA.

Your only option is to retake or take more classes. There really isn't a shortcut.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since GPA is a calculation made of numbers, you will have to be your own academic accountant to see how your GPA can improve. My recommendation is to input all of your classes and the grade you've obtained into a GPA Calculator (I've attached the one I like using) and then see how retaking a class, or taking new classes, can change your GPA. Once you have a solid plan for retaking or taking new classes, and have calculated a 'projected GPA,' then you can take a look at the list of classes you've written down to see how they match up. @coolrunnins gave some great tips about how to choose schools to apply.

Attachments

• GPA Calculator OT.xls
    33.5 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: 1 user
As mentioned above, the only thing you can really do is retake any classes you did poorly in, if they are prerequisites (otherwise, you'd be wasting your time). Keep in mind though, OTCAS asks for your transcripts from all places where you did college-level coursework, so your poor grades will still be factored in - a good grade in the same course retaken after graduation does not replace the lower grade. Therefore, depending on how low your GPA is, a couple of credits of stellar grades may not raise it all that much. That being said, if your low grades were in any prereqs required by a program, you might want to retake them and see if you can get an A.

Makingmoves...I can tell that you're anxious to get into an OT school. You've started more threads in the past two weeks than I saw in the first few months of reading this board! :)

I speak as someone who found the profession last summer, fell in love with it, and realized that I had all of 3 months to prepare for the admission process. One of the OT's I observed had the exact same experience, and she got into my dream school, so she showed me that it's possible to get it all together in a short time. I also had been preparing for a few years to try for a PhD in Philosophy, so I knew a bit about the process already. FWIW, I can share some of what I know, but this thread has a ton of good advice in general: New to OT: GPA, GRE, Shadowing etc.

You're already doing what I found to be an important step in the process: ask a TON of people advice, and try to discern what would be most helpful in preparing. My biggest rule in this process has been: no matter what I'm doing (I work 40 hours a week on top of taking my pre-reqs), take any and every opportunity to strengthen your application. I talk to just about everyone about OT now, and anytime someone offers me an opportunity, whether it be a conversation, or to observe, or anatomy flashcards, or to read my application essay, I take everyone up on it. The more help you can get, the better. When you take pre-reqs, put everything you can into it...dress sharply, come early, study often. Treat it like you would a job.

In terms of GPA, I've heard that schools with interviews take the GPA a little less seriously. Basically, they have another step to evaluate you, so the GPA is not as big a factor. If you don't meet minimums, then you might be in trouble, but I got an interview at my dream school and my GPA was below their average (not the minimum). I know you're trying to avoid the GRE's, but that would be a nice way to show that you're more academically gifted than your GPA shows. I put some tips on the above thread about doing well on the GRE. If you want to knock it out of the park, study hard for 3 months with no other classes to get in the way. I was a good bit above the GRE scores for my dream school, and I think that might have helped detract from my less than stellar GPA.

One bit of advice I got for applying for PhD programs (with respect to my not so attractive GPA) was to really strengthen every other aspect of my application. In terms of observations, don't just put a ton of hours in, but go to a lot of different types of settings. I think I ended up with 7 types of settings and about 50 hours total. Seeing the variety shows a greater depth of interest and understanding in the field than simply observing 100 hours at 2 similar types of settings. Spend a great deal of time on your SOP, and REVISE it...again and again! You should work on it for at LEAST a month. Don't just talk about how much you want to be an OT (we are all excited about that possibility :) )...paint a picture of yourself as a unique applicant. What do you have to offer the field? What possibilities do you see contributing to or creating in the field? What influences sent you to the field, and how do you understand OT better now because of those influences? Also, show that you are academically capable of entering the field: write well. Good grammar, good spelling, and if the prompt hasn't already told you to: cite some sources that show that you're reading research in the field. It's probably good to show that you're reading specific scholars from your target schools.

Which leads me to the key for most graduate programs these days: fit. Grad schools want to know that students will succeed in their program, want to be there, will be interesting to interact with, and will carry on the tradition of the program into the field. Know the philosophy and approach that the school takes. Who do they read? What are their influences? Where have their scholars come from? Find any way you can to communicate that you fit with them (of course, don't lie, but you can emphasize what's necessary to make this point). Talk to scholars in the department. Most scholars are happy to interact with you to some extent. Ask questions about their research. Learn the vocabulary of the program. You can then develop a reading list and learn more about what it would be like to be in the program. I think that professors are much more comfortable accepting and interacting with applicants who have taken the time to learn their unique contributions, and aren't just using the spray/pray method of applying to get a job one day. You'll also be more prepared to enter the program, and probably will be more likely to succeed there (vs. entering a program that's not suited to your own approach to the field).

On a side note, my cousin and her husband attended Milligan college, and it seems like an awesome college. They're both very intelligent, and eloquent. I think that it's situated up in the hills of Johnson County, Tennessee, so if you like a small town, it's a beautiful little place to live. I have fond memories up there! :) I will say that if you pour your passion into working on your application, I'm sure that you'll end up somewhere, because you seem very passionate. Another of my mottos during this process has been: you can't control certain things, but the ones that you can, do everything possible. That way, when it's all said and done, you can't regret leaving anything on the table. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Makingmoves...I can tell that you're anxious to get into an OT school. You've started more threads in the past two weeks than I saw in the first few months of reading this board! :)

I speak as someone who found the profession last summer, fell in love with it, and realized that I had all of 3 months to prepare for the admission process. One of the OT's I observed had the exact same experience, and she got into my dream school, so she showed me that it's possible to get it all together in a short time. I also had been preparing for a few years to try for a PhD in Philosophy, so I knew a bit about the process already. FWIW, I can share some of what I know, but this thread has a ton of good advice in general: New to OT: GPA, GRE, Shadowing etc.

You're already doing what I found to be an important step in the process: ask a TON of people advice, and try to discern what would be most helpful in preparing. My biggest rule in this process has been: no matter what I'm doing (I work 40 hours a week on top of taking my pre-reqs), take any and every opportunity to strengthen your application. I talk to just about everyone about OT now, and anytime someone offers me an opportunity, whether it be a conversation, or to observe, or anatomy flashcards, or to read my application essay, I take everyone up on it. The more help you can get, the better. When you take pre-reqs, put everything you can into it...dress sharply, come early, study often. Treat it like you would a job.

In terms of GPA, I've heard that schools with interviews take the GPA a little less seriously. Basically, they have another step to evaluate you, so the GPA is not as big a factor. If you don't meet minimums, then you might be in trouble, but I got an interview at my dream school and my GPA was below their average (not the minimum). I know you're trying to avoid the GRE's, but that would be a nice way to show that you're more academically gifted than your GPA shows. I put some tips on the above thread about doing well on the GRE. If you want to knock it out of the park, study hard for 3 months with no other classes to get in the way. I was a good bit above the GRE scores for my dream school, and I think that might have helped detract from my less than stellar GPA.

One bit of advice I got for applying for PhD programs (with respect to my not so attractive GPA) was to really strengthen every other aspect of my application. In terms of observations, don't just put a ton of hours in, but go to a lot of different types of settings. I think I ended up with 7 types of settings and about 50 hours total. Seeing the variety shows a greater depth of interest and understanding in the field than simply observing 100 hours at 2 similar types of settings. Spend a great deal of time on your SOP, and REVISE it...again and again! You should work on it for at LEAST a month. Don't just talk about how much you want to be an OT (we are all excited about that possibility :) )...paint a picture of yourself as a unique applicant. What do you have to offer the field? What possibilities do you see contributing to or creating in the field? What influences sent you to the field, and how do you understand OT better now because of those influences? Also, show that you are academically capable of entering the field: write well. Good grammar, good spelling, and if the prompt hasn't already told you to: cite some sources that show that you're reading research in the field. It's probably good to show that you're reading specific scholars from your target schools.

Which leads me to the key for most graduate programs these days: fit. Grad schools want to know that students will succeed in their program, want to be there, will be interesting to interact with, and will carry on the tradition of the program into the field. Know the philosophy and approach that the school takes. Who do they read? What are their influences? Where have their scholars come from? Find any way you can to communicate that you fit with them (of course, don't lie, but you can emphasize what's necessary to make this point). Talk to scholars in the department. Most scholars are happy to interact with you to some extent. Ask questions about their research. Learn the vocabulary of the program. You can then develop a reading list and learn more about what it would be like to be in the program. I think that professors are much more comfortable accepting and interacting with applicants who have taken the time to learn their unique contributions, and aren't just using the spray/pray method of applying to get a job one day. You'll also be more prepared to enter the program, and probably will be more likely to succeed there (vs. entering a program that's not suited to your own approach to the field).

On a side note, my cousin and her husband attended Milligan college, and it seems like an awesome college. They're both very intelligent, and eloquent. I think that it's situated up in the hills of Johnson County, Tennessee, so if you like a small town, it's a beautiful little place to live. I have fond memories up there! :) I will say that if you pour your passion into working on your application, I'm sure that you'll end up somewhere, because you seem very passionate. Another of my mottos during this process has been: you can't control certain things, but the ones that you can, do everything possible. That way, when it's all said and done, you can't regret leaving anything on the table. Good luck!

Ok I'm just freaking out. I really want to be an OT. I'm just tired of everyone throwing up the GPA. I don't know. I'm just freaking out. I've applied to four schools but I'm in the process of applying to some more. Thanks for your advice. My dream place to live is Nashville Tn but the schools there wants me to take the GRE. I'm in the process of taking Anatomy and physiology 1 and 2. I just don't know. I don't take rejection that well. Over the years I've seen people get what they want on their first try but I have to keep trying over and over again. Thanks for the advice.

GPA isn't everything. Undergrads throw it out there because it's what they've got to go on...they've spent their last four (or so) years working hard on it. Others haven't been in school in a while, but can offer other skills. I've heard that schools really value applicants with significant years of work experience because they tend to stick with the program and be a bit more responsible after having lived in the real world a while. Let me put it this way: I've seen people with 3.8 GPA's get rejected from schools and people with 3.3's get in in the same cycle (same school). GPA isn't everything. It doesn't hurt, but it isn't everything. OT's should understand that more than anyone.

Since GPA is a calculation made of numbers, you will have to be your own academic accountant to see how your GPA can improve. My recommendation is to input all of your classes and the grade you've obtained into a GPA Calculator (I've attached the one I like using) and then see how retaking a class, or taking new classes, can change your GPA. Once you have a solid plan for retaking or taking new classes, and have calculated a 'projected GPA,' then you can take a look at the list of classes you've written down to see how they match up. @coolrunnins gave some great tips about how to choose schools to apply.
Thank You!!!!

If this helps, you can plug the classes you've taken and grades you've gotten into this spreadsheet and it'll calculate your GPA. Then, you can play around with it to see how retaking a class will affect your GPA.

Keep in mind that some schools will only calculate the average of your original and the retaken course. Also keep in mind that more 'weight' is given to prerequisite courses and some schools even will take into consideration a general improvement in grades over the course of your college career.

Attachments

• GPA-1.xlsx
    13.6 KB · Views: 81
What if the school wont' change your grade after retaking it?