How to include gap year activities in application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I think that you can only include activities that you have already done in the AAMC primary app (please correct me if I'm wrong). So, if I want to submit my primary right after graduation and plan on doing activities throughout a gap year (I'm considering Americorps or Healthcorps right now), is there any way to include these future gap year activities? If I'm not given a secondary, will I not be able to mention my gap year anywhere?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I beifly included my intended gap year activities in my personal statement. I think most schools give out secondaries to the vast majority of applicants, and I don't think your gap year activities would make or break you as far as receiving one. Then, if there's an applicable section in the secondary you can include a more detailed description, and I also sent notable updates to my top schools every few months.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the AMCAS primary, you can include activities with dates extending into the following year. Many secondaries also specifically ask for current activities in the gap year.

Almost every secondary I received asked what I was doing during my gap year. Otherwise it can be a great thing to include in a letter to the school later if you are wait listed/on hold.

Reactions: 1 user
You cannot include any future dates on your primary. If you have started an activity by primary submission, great. Include it. If not, tough luck and just wait for secondaries. 9 out of 10 of them ask about gap years if you've taken one.