How to increase chances of matching near my SO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Auvelity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello guys!
I need some advice, I am an IMG interested in psych with low step 1 score(~210) but good CK score (~250s)(everything passed in first attempts, 3 years out of medschool but engaged in clinical practice outside the US ever since with no gaps, observerships done in psychiatry and 2 LORs from US psychs)
My SO matched successfully this year in IM in TX, saying that it isn’t as competitive as other states overall, his program has a psychiatry residency that takes IMGs and so far I fit the requirements (but Not all the programs disclose their really cutoffs online so) anyways I will be visiting my SO around August and I don’t know If I should take the opportunity and swing by, shake some hands and introduce myself. Or if He should be the one approaching the psych program and telling them about me?
So besides obviously applying to the hospital during this upcoming match season, making a beautiful personal statement in regards of my ties to this location, is there anything I could do in order for me to get an interview at his hospital?
Or anything I could do in order to increase my chances of getting interviews from programs around the area? What would be the best approach?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd send an email to the program coordinator, telling them you're very interested and would love to visit them. You'll be in the area at x date, etc, and see if it's convenient for them. Definitely visiting shows interest. In addition, I would send emails Sept 15th to programs you want to interview at and tell them you're interested. I did receive a couple more interview invites because I sent an email directly to the program.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd send an email to the program coordinator, telling them you're very interested and would love to visit them. You'll be in the area at x date, etc, and see if it's convenient for them. Definitely visiting shows interest. In addition, I would send emails Sept 15th to programs you want to interview at and tell them you're interested. I did receive a couple more interview invites because I sent an email directly to the program.

When would be an appropriate time to send those type of emails?