How to increase chances to find job in desired location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardiologynerd

Reaction score
Hey y'all, incoming cardiology fellow here. Spoke with my significant other about places to live in the long-run, particularly if we were to raise a family, and of course they were thinking about the most desired locations (urban, suburban area).
I am doing fellowship out of state so kind of concerned that I won't have a lot of connections to my desired area, but what other tips do you have to increase my chances of snagging a job by the time I am a third year fellow? I am going for general cardiology, not particularly interested in IC nor EP at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

Would love some insight on this from the IC perspective too. I figure a major part is building connections with people in the areas where you want to work or people who know those people.

Network. Maybe now is a touch early but it wouldn't hurt to eventually reach out to possible employers or attendings in desired area, if nothing but just to chat, make a connection and hear what they have to say and put your name out there. But also use any and all of your connections. College, med school, residency, fellowship. Attendings, colleagues, alumni, reps(!), family, friends, friend of a friend, nurses, and so on. This is why it pays to be a good person and doctor. I can't emphasize enough how often networking, connections and a persons reputation has come up for me or others. Thumbs up sticking with gen cards, it will only increase your odds.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
General: I would start reaching out after year 1. Try and email the groups in your city.

IC: similar, but would wait until after year 2 if doing a 1 year IC program. Or after year 3 if doing a 2 yr IC program. For IC, my primary networking would be through reps (buddy up with your local reps… they’ll get you in touch with the reps that cover your desired city)

Reactions: 1 users
Network. Maybe now is a touch early but it wouldn't hurt to eventually reach out to possible employers or attendings in desired area, if nothing but just to chat, make a connection and hear what they have to say and put your name out there. But also use any and all of your connections. College, med school, residency, fellowship. Attendings, colleagues, alumni, reps(!), family, friends, friend of a friend, nurses, and so on. This is why it pays to be a good person and doctor. I can't emphasize enough how often networking, connections and a persons reputation has come up for me or others. Thumbs up sticking with gen cards, it will only increase your odds.
Thanks! I'm not one to suck up to people cuz that's not my personality but looks like I'll have to be proactive and butter some people up lol

It’s not so much buttering people up but it’s just more try and be friendly with reps during fellowship.

Trust me, you’re the last person they want to talk to and act like their buddies with but if you can find some mutual interests, grab lunch and just be friendly than they can really help with the job search and putting in a word.. Granted many industry/doc relationships are dying off in the current environment so they don’t have as many connections as previously.. and obviously it’s not the only way to do it either so if it’s not your cup of tea don’t sweat it.

It’s not so much buttering people up but it’s just more try and be friendly with reps during fellowship.

Trust me, you’re the last person they want to talk to and act like their buddies with but if you can find some mutual interests, grab lunch and just be friendly than they can really help with the job search and putting in a word.. Granted many industry/doc relationships are dying off in the current environment so they don’t have as many connections as previously.. and obviously it’s not the only way to do it either so if it’s not your cup of tea don’t sweat it.
Oh I'm definitely a friendly person so it won't be hard. I just have to remind myself to make time to keep in touch with them regularly. I'm just sick of people who kiss ass in a very competitive environment and that's not me.

Thanks for the advice!