How to increase my chance of getting into dental schools? Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donotgiveup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, here is my situation. I always wanted to be a dentist, and was working on my prerequisites. However, I just wanted to have more options so I always applied for nursing school and I got accepted, went into the program but I know my heart is not there...So I decided to drop out of the program and continue on dental..but the problem is I still got 5 more classes for the prerequisites and I have like..14 W's including the 6 classes of nursing that I'm gonna drop..:( Do you guys think I should continue my dream of being a dentist or should I just do something else...because I see that the chance is very slim... My GPA is about 3.3 Can you guys give me some advice? I just don't want to waste my time... but I know I really want to go into dental school..So what are some ways to increase my chance? I'm attending a state university..Should I just transfer to a university and finish the 5 classes? Really appreciate your feedback! :bow:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, here is my situation. I always wanted to be a dentist, and was working on my prerequisites. However, I just wanted to have more options so I always applied for nursing school and I got accepted, went into the program but I know my heart is not there...So I decided to drop out of the program and continue on dental..but the problem is I still got 5 more classes for the prerequisites and I have like..14 W's including the 6 classes of nursing that I'm gonna drop..:( Do you guys think I should continue my dream of being a dentist or should I just do something else...because I see that the chance is very slim... My GPA is about 3.3 Can you guys give me some advice? I just don't want to waste my time... but I know I really want to go into dental school..So what are some ways to increase my chance? I'm attending a state university..Should I just transfer to a university and finish the 5 classes? Really appreciate your feedback! :bow:

Your transcript is going to have 14 W's on it? That's really... not good. Let me pose some questions. Have you shadowed dentists to make sure this is what you want to do? Is there something in the nursing field that might make you happy so that you don't have to change course? If you really want to drop nursing, is there a way to finish the semester so you don't get all those withdrawals?

If you are still in nursing school... I BEG you to stay and not drop out. Even if you never have to work as a nurse, just getting the degree shows that you can make a plan and stick to it.

you a HUGE problem that dental schools (and other professional schools) fear the most:
you don't have enough commitment to things, this is evident in the fact you dropped out / are about to drop out of nursing school....how does a dental school know that you'll get in, and 1-2 years later decide "dentistry sucks, I am outta here"..... and to make things worse, those 14 W's.

If you think about it, most dental schools gets between 2000-4000 applications, they will only call about 200-400 to interviews and eventually, only 100 seats to fill up.

Again, the best thing you can do for your future dentistry goals is to NOT drop out of nursing school

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above...
It will certainly raise questions if you even get an interview. Stay in school and finish, then take the 5 classes. There were SOO many people in my interviews that had gone into architecture, business, etc and QUIT their job because they were not satisfied. Shadow a dentist and maybe actually be a nurse for a summer to figure out what the heck you want to do.

Thanks all! I don't think nursing is for me..i know it's too late to realize that now..but I don't think I can continue with it because i don't have the motivation to study for the subject... I think I will study something else... Do you have any suggestions what I can do with all the prerequisites that I took for nursing? Thanks! :)

Thanks all! I don't think nursing is for me..i know it's too late to realize that now..but I don't think I can continue with it because i don't have the motivation to study for the subject... I think I will study something else... Do you have any suggestions what I can do with all the prerequisites that I took for nursing? Thanks! :)

Well, what kind of classes are you lacking for your nursing degree? If they have to do with anatomy, biochemistry, and other heavy sciences, that's what dentistry has as well. Also, lots of the prereqs for nursing can be used towards your application for dental school. Did you already take your chemistry courses (general and organic) and biology courses needed?

I agree with DentalWorks' post to try your best to stick with it. It's a great thing to have a Bachelors degree in something. Nursing is definitely respectable. But, I understand the motivation aspect too. Just try your best and make a decision that works for you. Good luck.

14 W's are a BIG issue. Even if you get C's in the class a C is better than a W any day. I'm sure it is hard to motivate to study, but what about when you're trying to study for physics which is not even on the DAT or has much to do with being a dentist? At the end of the day, right now is not about what is going to make your life easier, it is about getting into dental school. Everyone here has made sacrifices to be in the spot we are now and sticking with your classes this semester might have to be the sacrifice you have to make. You're talking about what you need to do to be a dentist and my advice is to NOT get W's. 1 or 2 is okay but 14 is not and you can try to prove us all wrong that you can get into D school with that (but I doubt it will happen)

what makes you so confident that the material in dental school is any better than nursing? they're both health-related with a lot of basic science in the beginning.

dropping out will look bad as others have said

no school would want to risk a seat on an individual who has a record of dropping out and incur a financial loss if the student drops out again.

just finish your degree

getting that many W s will just kill your application

Yeah man finish your RN. It's a pretty sweet gig - and will give you an interesting story to come to dentistry with. You'll be head and shoulders above other dental students when it comes to general patient care.
It seems like it should be interesting if you like dentistry... from what I understand dentistry is the medicine of the mouth. You're getting a great overall knowedge of disease/treatments and have the option to work in great settings like ICU or OR while you finish your dental prereqs.

is money an issue?

I agree that not dropping out is probably the best course of action but I would discourage anyone from spending so much money obtaining a degree that they will not use.

Nursing is pretty good money too, a LOT of people I know want to do that too.

Like others said, make sure you shadow dentists to ensure that's what you really want to do.

i need more tips,thanks
smile.gif

Okay, OP, to summarize EVERYONE response:

If you want dentistry, DO NOT DROP OUT OF NURSING.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your comments, what do you think about dental hygiene career?

Dental hygiene is a great career and has all the benefits of being a dentist (minus the xxx,xxx salary). You still make decent money and have great hours.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your comments, what do you think about dental hygiene career?

They are also competitive, I am guessing about as competitive as nursing schools are.

They are also competitive, I am guessing about as competitive as nursing schools are.

Yep, DH programs are competitive. I know the program I graduated from interviewed over 100 and accepted 24. I'm not sure how many applicants there were.

A career as an RDH great. I have enjoyed it so much! That is the reason I want to continue my education.