How to indicate interest in my top choice during my interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhoenixRising77

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I’ve been fortunate to receive an interview from my top choice — they interview a small number of students so I’m hopeful. Can I indicate that it is my top choice during my interviews? Or should I be more subtle? Unless I get into Harvard (0% chance for obvious reasons), I would 100% attend this school.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can incorporate it into natural conversation, sure. I wouldn't use words like like #1 choice. It's a personal opinion but I find it a bit tacky and awkward to interject. Instead, show sustained interest throughout the interview.
Ex. In response to Why X school? "It would be an immense privilege and my dream to attend because of Y and Z" and continue to sprinkle in how much you like some aspect of the program because it connects to your X interest or Y aspirations. Tone and expression matter. Pausing at the start of the sentence and emphasizing privilege and dream will get the message across.
If you can smoothly connect the reasons you love the program with your own stories, your interest will be apparent. Do it enough and effectively enough the interviewer will pick it up. That said, it takes skill and don't try it for the first time in your interview. Practice with a couple scenarios with Zoom recording on to make sure you don't sound stilted or so rehearsed that it ends up sounding fake.

Reactions: 1 users
Can I indicate that it is my top choice during my interviews?
Help me out. Were you planning...?

"Interviewer: Why this program?

You: It's my top choice.

Interviewer: ... Why? ..."

You have been invited for an interview so they likely see you as a good fit too. But you need to answer questions directly to show us we are your top choice. I expect you did your homework, so time to show it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rather than talking about your dream and your privilege to attend, talk about the school and what attracts you to it. "I really love the work being done at Best Medical School on xyz, and some of the research on abc which I heard about from my PI, my professor in abc class, etc. "

Reactions: 4 users
Rather than talking about your dream and your privilege to attend, talk about the school and what attracts you to it. "I really love the work being done at Best Medical School on xyz, and some of the research on abc which I heard about from my PI, my professor in abc class, etc. "
Thanks! I have been doing this for my other interviews -- mentioning specific activities, curriculum features, special programs, and aspects of the mission that align with my experiences/goals. I haven't mentioned research since I'm unsure what kind of research I want to do in med school. I guess I'm nervous since I really would love to go to this school.

Reactions: 1 user
Help me out. Were you planning...?

"Interviewer: Why this program?

You: It's my top choice.

Interviewer: ... Why? ..."

You have been invited for an interview so they likely see you as a good fit too. But you need to answer questions directly to show us we are your top choice. I expect you did your homework, so time to show it.
No, I have solid reasons to back up why it's my top choice...I guess I was wondering after I mention all these reasons if I should reiterate that it's my top choice. Looks like the general consensus is no, so I'll answer why I want to attend the program which is what I was planning on.

No, I have solid reasons to back up why it's my top choice...I guess I was wondering after I mention all these reasons if I should reiterate that it's my top choice. Looks like the general consensus is no, so I'll answer why I want to attend the program which is what I was planning on.
Yeah, I don't think you need to. From what I can tell, do well on your interview and make them want you. There is a very fine line between looking the part and looking desperate.

Reactions: 1 user