How to introduce yourself over the phone for shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staceycane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So basically today I'm planning on calling the office of a surgeon I really want to shadow. I was shadowing another surgeon at the same hospital recently and while in PACU I made friends with some of the nurses and they recommended I ask him because he's young and friendly. Also, I just realized about five minutes ago that I met him while shadowing a different doctor last summer and he gave me a lesson on the anatomy of the arm while inside his OR while the doctor I was shadowing helped him reattach a bicep tendon. So, I don't know how to call his office and communicate all this to the receptionist and get her to take my request seriously. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have his email, but I guess I could drop off a letter at his office... Why would that be better than calling though?

Members don't see this ad :)
Because they can answer an email on their own time and it's easier to say no

Calling their office worked for me. Give them your name and where you're at in your studies. Then just ask if Dr. X is available for shadowing.

A lot of docs aren't open to shadow so I would call other local surgeons at the same time and hope one is open.