How to know what schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

How do I know what schools to apply to? What should I consider?

Members don't see this ad.

For me, I looked at schools GPA/GRE requirements, cohort size, their location, and whether they were private or state schools.

Apply to the cheapest accredited schools you have a chance at.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Answering this as someone who accepted a spot at Wash U, aka a private school on the more expensive side. Yes cost should be one of your big considerations, but I would argue that cost shouldn't be the only factor (hello loan forgiveness!). One of the biggest things that drew me to the school I chose was that the philosophy of the program fit really well with my interests and values. Also, the differences between schools' prereqs was another way i made some decisions and eliminated programs I decided not to apply to. For example, I didn't have a LOR from a PT. I took AP stats and didn't want to retake it in undergrad for programs that wouldn't accept an AP credit. And I only took one semester of general bio and really didn't want to take upper level bio to fill the requirement of a program that asked for 8 credits. This is definitely something I would recommend, there's no reason to add extra work on yourself to fit one program's specific requirements if you already can fulfill everything from a different program that you like just as much.

How do I know what schools to apply to? What should I consider?
1. Make sure the school is accredited.
2. Schools whose requirements match your stats. Compare average stats of accepted students with your stats (some schools provide this information if you ask them) to make sure your stats are close or higher than the average.
3. If money matters, check tuition and other school fees. If you are planning to move, check cost of living and dorms situation.
The rest does not matter in my opinion. All accredited programs are standardized and roughly the same. The area where the campus is should not be very important since most people do not have much time to go out during the program.

Try writing down all the stats that you think are relevant (gpa, gre, hours completed, courses taken, possible references, etc.) and see what types of schools measure up to your stats. If you've got good stats then you have more options of applying, if not then you have to really match school up to your stats and see where you have the best chance of getting accepted. Once you have an idea of what your chances are you can look deeper into schools to learn more about whether it's a good fit for you. But the best way to know what schools to apply to is to know what your stats are and how they compare to what schools are looking for. I hope that helps.