How to leave a research job on good terms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studmuffin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after almost 2 years of chemistry research and holding out on the hope that I might actually learn something, I have come to the conclusion that research is definitely not my thing. I hate it. I'm working in a lab this summer just because it pays. So how do you go about leaving a Lab and then later asking for a LOR? Have your research advisors written you a LOR despite you leaving the lab? I feel like this is a waste of time and I would rather do other EC activities that I actually enjoy. Any answers are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Be polite and civil. Finish what you were contracted to do and give it your best effort. Even if you plan on never coming back, it doesn't hurt to leave some strong work behind.

I don't think usually researchers take it personally when students leave. Actually, it's pretty common for people to graduate or stop working in a lab due to time constraints, etc. At my university the professors will invite you to be on a research team for THAT semester. If you are interested in continuing, let them know, if not then no hard feelings.

Good luck! :)

I currently work in a lab, and know that my PIs would definitely write letters after I left. Like the above poster mentioned, it's understood that you'll eventually leave. The best thing you can do to leave on good terms is to be as open and honest as possible. Give plenty of notice, and voice why you want to leave. If you don't, they're going to scramble to continue to get their work done and think you must've really not liked the position or even them. Don't leave anything up to question, and it should be easy to maintain that relationship. Unless you work for a real a-hole that is.... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Offer to write a comprehensive guide for your replacement, always a plus in my book!

:smack: I blame 2014 OP...how do people even find these threads?

"Similar Threads" box below the text box. It's a fairly common mistake, but I still like to be a jerk and give people a hard time for it.

Reactions: 1 user
I meant to reply to the newer thread about terms of leaving a job. My bad.

I meant to reply to the newer thread about terms of leaving a job. My bad.
images