How to MAKE NEW FRIENDS when move for new job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angryrooster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lots of pharmacists move to a new city for new job. Now, start new life with spouse and kids in new city, what / where can pharmacists look for new friends?

-small hospital: don't want to make friends with co-workers (hard to be friends and co-workers)
-retail: most of the time it's the single-man show:)

can't be friends with my technicians either (again, work-related friendships are not my thing).
SO NOW HOW CAN I MAKE NEW FRIENDS? Feeling depressed :(

Members don't see this ad.

Meetup activities? Organizations for your hobby? Talking to people when you're out and about?
i'm sure the norm would be the way to go (as always). But I really want to know the methods, eg go to xyz website and sign up; go to the activity name ABC because there are lots of healthcare professionals....things like that.
I need more specific information

Members don't see this ad :)
Friends are overrated! But I would actively seek friendship OUTSIDE of pharmacy especially outside of immediate co-workers. I'd take hobbies and exploit them. I just joined a running club that has organized practices and it's a good place to meet new people of all walks of life. Same could be said for any hobby. Cycling clubs, dog people have get together, etc. I'd go and find websites for clubs you like and sign up (most of my clubs are very small yearly fees) and then go to all the get together that you want to go to. Also, use the club's facbook pages

You sound more social awkward than me which kinda cracks me up.

Don't you make enough money to move your friends, too? :D

I've actually thought about that before. :p

I can't move away from this state... it would hurt too much. :( My aunt thinks about moving back all the time.

When I've moved in the past I tend to make a lot of new friends through my church. I don't know if you are religious at all, but that's where I often start.

i'm sure the norm would be the way to go (as always). But I really want to know the methods, eg go to xyz website and sign up; go to the activity name ABC because there are lots of healthcare professionals....things like that.
I need more specific information

Yes. Look in the local paper, on tack boards at popular hang outs, and go to websites about the city. For example: my partner and I can meet people through MENSA, at french class, and at community events. There are book clubs, discussion groups, drum circles, weekly bluegrass jam sessions, farmers markets (always the same people), wine tastings, and so much more. You just have to look around and see what meets your interests. It can be intimidating at first. One of the best recommendations I received was to go to toastmasters.

Yes. Look in the local paper, on tack boards at popular hang outs, and go to websites about the city. For example: my partner and I can meet people through MENSA, at french class, and at community events. There are book clubs, discussion groups, drum circles, weekly bluegrass jam sessions, farmers markets (always the same people), wine tastings, and so much more. You just have to look around and see what meets your interests. It can be intimidating at first. One of the best recommendations I received was to go to toastmasters.

Were you recommended toastmasters to meet friends or to learn public speaking?

Join a club or a gym. I've been a member of "in" martial arts schools in the past, ie Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and met tons of great people. I just joined a muay thai kick boxing gym to goto after my rotations and I've also met tons of great people also, most of whom I havn't seen in over a month and a half because of rotations and work eating up all of my free time.

I had to move to a small city for my first job and I didn't know a single person there. I am by nature shy and prefer to be alone.
However, it's been my dream for years to learn how to ride a horse. I figured with so many farms nearby I could give it a shot. It took a lot of courage to call and show up for the first lesson.
And boy it turned out to be so rewarding, that I now have second thoughts about leaving this job and getting one closer to where I used to live.

I second the suggestion of Toastmasters, I had so much fun with that too.

Yeah it's hard to make yourself go do thing after work, esp if you already got a family.. But try the local chamber of Commerce, hang out with the younger group for fun and networking. Or take 1-2 evening courses towards an additional degree/certificate while scoping out the girls in class. :)

Yeah it's hard to make yourself go do thing after work, esp if you already got a family.. But try the local chamber of Commerce, hang out with the younger group for fun and networking. Or take 1-2 evening courses towards an additional degree/certificate while scoping out the girls in class. :)

This is true, but if you have a family, should you really be going out looking for "friends"? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
This is true, but if you have a family, should you really be going out looking for "friends"? :smuggrin:
yes, family is very big part of your life, but it's not all. Everyone needs friends (friends with their families are even better). It's extremely hard to find time to hang out once you have little babies. And I am a sociable person, I always have many friends but they are in different states now that I've moved.
And FACEBOOK , really???
I think joining some clubs/gyms...trying to learn something new is a good idea...

But what if you feel like there's not enough people to hang out even with a friend count > 1000?

then you need to stop adding celebrities and pr0n stars to your friend list :idea:

yes, family is very big part of your life, but it's not all. Everyone needs friends (friends with their families are even better). It's extremely hard to find time to hang out once you have little babies. And I am a sociable person, I always have many friends but they are in different states now that I've moved.
And FACEBOOK , really???
I think joining some clubs/gyms...trying to learn something new is a good idea...

Rock climbing is a good option because you do it in pairs. Join a gym if there's one near you and there are usually people there looking for partners. Plus it's fun :)

then you need to stop adding celebrities and pr0n stars to your friend list :idea:

Then that would suggest that some of your HS classmates went on to be... :eek: :laugh:

But really, some people might use full-time work as an "excuse" and say "I'm too tired" every single day. Even on the weekends.

Get a hobby .. pursue your hobby with passion. Then you will find someone to enjoy the hobby with. Personally I would never get depressed bout having no friends or ask strangers online how to make friends.

But really, some people might use full-time work as an "excuse" and say "I'm too tired" every single day. Even on the weekends.
One of my favorite sayings: If it's not important to you, you'll find an excuse, if it is important, you'll find a way.

look up your local young professionals organization.

I'm the only healthcare person in mine here. It's interesting. and we drink a lot.

I've met some of my best non pharmacy friends through homebrewing clubs!