General Admissions & OTCAS How to navigate multiple recommendation letters ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confusedandlostone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Former OT student looking to reapply to other programs here. I am a bit confused on how to ask my references for multiple letters of recommendations since I plan on applying using the OTCAS( which is centralized and can be submitted online) and at least 3 other individual schools. For those of you who asked your references for multiple letters for different schools, how did you go about doing this? For instance, one of my references just completed the OTCAS form however I am planning to use his letter for the other individual schools. I've heard of some people telling their references to save their letter in a word document and then send it to them, however how is this possible if the option of viewing the letter is waived? Hands down, recommendation letters are probably one of the most stressful parts of the application process. I cannot help but feel to be a heavy burden by constantly asking them to complete it since I know most of them are extremely busy people.

Members don't see this ad.

I tried to ask about 6 different people, for some there was just no way around asking them to send out several letters. I tried to make it as easy as possible: sending them a stamped envelope and very clear instructions, also telling them that if there are any complications to have me call and spend the hour on the phone with OTCAS often grumpy phone people. Then I always sent a sincere gratitude filled card letting them know how much of a difference they have made and if they had to do more than one letter I sent them a small gift too. They also told me it was nice to hear the outcome of what happens with the applications, whether you got in or not.
I got stressed and felt bad but I talked to my boss who is also a professor about it and she said that she considers it part of her job to write those letters, people did it for her and she wants to return the favor, she also knows it is necessary and essential to her recommendees. Just tell yourself that when you are in their position you will do the same without hesitation for others.