how to navigate multiple waitlists ( Duke, NYU, Hopkins)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowys435

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this post comes off as insensitive to anyone but I've been wait listed at these 3 schools. Ideally, I would like to get off and I personally liked Hopkins/NYU. Would it be acceptable to send letters of interest/ intent to both. Would these schools communicate? or do I hedge my bets and pick one I like the most and send them letters?

Members don't see this ad.

I apologize in advance if this post comes off as insensitive to anyone but I've been wait listed at these 3 schools. Ideally, I would like to get off and I personally liked Hopkins/NYU. Would it be acceptable to send letters of interest/ intent to both. Would these schools communicate? or do I hedge my bets and pick one I like the most and send them letters?

Do you have any acceptances (i.e., a safety net)?

Members don't see this ad :)

Haha it's not insensitive, man. How could your post have offended someone?

Anywho... I don't quite understand the bolded part. It seems like, to hedge your bets, you'd have to decide which was the safer option in general (i.e., to send or not to send LOIs) and then choose that option for your favorite school but then try the riskier option (in your view) for either one or both of the remaining schools. Is that what you mean?

I have one acceptance but I would prefer nyu or hopkins.

Got ya.

Edited to add second quote.

Haha it's not insensitive, man. How could your post have offended someone?

Anywho... I don't quite understand the bolded part. It seems like, to hedge your bets, you'd have to decide which was the safer option in general (i.e., to send or not to send LOIs) and then choose that option for your favorite school but then try the riskier option (in your view) for either one or both of the remaining schools. Is that what you mean?

Got ya.

Edited to add second quote.
I guess my point is do I send letters of interest to all or pick one to send a letter of intent to and not contact the others.

I guess my point is do I send letters of interest to all or pick one to send a letter of intent to and not contact the others.

It seems like the choice depends on whether the school has a reputation for being receptive to LOIs. In general, my understanding is that schools don't care about LOIs, but substantive updates can't hurt. I guess just do your best to find out what you can about each school and go own the data you turn up.

Your guess is as good as mine. :shrug:

Also, congratulations on a hell of a cycle.

It seems like the choice depends on whether the school has a reputation for being receptive to LOIs. In general, my understanding is that schools don't care about LOIs, but substantive updates can't hurt. I guess just do your best to find out what you can about each school and go own the data you turn up.

Your guess is as good as mine. :shrug:

Also, congratulations on a hell of a cycle.
I honestly feel like s*** I have one acceptance and 3 waitlists. I am one acceptance away from not being good enough to be accepted anywhere

I honestly feel like s*** I have one acceptance and 3 waitlists. I am one acceptance away from not being good enough to be accepted anywhere

That's one more acceptance than ~ 60% of applicants. You may just come off one of those waitlists, you never know

Reactions: 1 users

To answer the original question,
The Adcom members on this site have intimated that LOIs are only useful if you have a significant update to send and/or you already have an acceptance at a similarly ranked/higher ranked school.
Otherwise, they know you would prefer their school over the lower ranked one they have been accepted to, you don't have to send them a letter saying what they already know.
I don't think the schools communicate so feel free to send letters to both but, again, if there's no significant changes made to your application it probably won't help.

Reactions: 1 user
If I remember correctly, Hopkins has repeatedly announced they don't welcome letters of interest until after acceptance (how helpful!). I don't know if it will hurt you to send a letter to them, I assume it will just make no difference.

I am not sure about NYU though, I suppose it may help to send one to them.