How to network using SNMA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MG Hammer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My apologies in advance if I am not posting correctly. I have been reading up on past SDN posts (I'm not applying anytime soon...was more so just curious about this site) and noticed that many people have recommended networking with SNMA/MAPS if you identify as a URM. I never heard of this organization and was curious, so I went to the website to get more information and it's a bit confusing. I am confused about how one is supposed to network. Am I supposed to just email randomly? How do I connect with the organization?

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated. I am an African American female, however NOT disadvantaged or first-gen (is this organization even meant for me?). As someone who goes to a school where only 6% of the undergrad body is Black, I would love to connect with more physicians of color. I tried asking on another popular social media site but got no responses after a month.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Typically as a pre-med you can attend the SNMA major annual conference (AMEC), or the regional meetings (dependent on where your college is).

They usually have sessions on how to prep for med school, you can meet adcom members from various schools, find out about funding opportunities, internships, etc. - present your research, talk to faculty and other students --> that's typically what they mean by the networking opportunities

SNMA welcomes all (I'm biased - I served on the SNMA eboard at my school) --> there's so few black med students, physicians, etc that we all gotta stick together and build connections :)

Reactions: 2 users
As one who always encourages networking, you are on the right path. It may take time, but it is worth it.

AMSA and SNMA chapters should exist at all medical schools. (Similar organizations exist for dental, pharmacy, etc.), Each chapter has a prehealth committee for recruiting and mentoring. There may be undergrad chapters (MAPS is a common acronym) which are sometimes associated with SNMA.

As for networking:
1) Social media. They are active in IG and Facebook (at least). Follow them so you can attend...
2) Webinars. Connect and say hello. Someone should reach out to you, especially if you register for the webinars.
3) Website. Search for regional officers or school officers or websites. You want to connect and say hello.
4) Diversity and inclusion administrators. You should also find out who the designated student affairs and Diversity dean is, and ask about opportunities to meet other minority students.
5) Go to AMEC or similar conferences (regionals?).

We do have a forum here for UiMs so don't hesitate to go there too.

Thank you both for your responses! I think beginning with social media is a good step for now, and as I get closer to my actual application cycle, I will reach out more and more. As for the forum, I was unaware of there being one for URMs. I may look into that as well.

Thanks again!

I found this. If there is not already a chapter at your college, you can start one! Hope that that helps!