How to not suck at Physics? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LizzyBeth2282

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have taken the MCAT already but based on this admissions cycle, I'm going to need to retake. I was stupid the first time I took the MCAT and only studies 6 weeks. I scored average on CARS, BIO, and PSY. However I totally bombed Physics and Chemistry. I always have to work for Chemistry but I know I can do better in it because I actually do understand it... but physics? I keep hitting the biggest brick wall ever. I just can't understand it at all. Like I can't even answer simple Velocity questions. I don't know what is wrong with me. I took two semesters of physics in college and got A+ in both classes but that was simply because the teacher spoon feed us the tests so it was simply a matter of memorization and showing that you were trying to understand the work. When i started studying for the MCAT I got almost every single physics question wrong. I've tried everything within my budget. Does anyone know any books that can help a desperate dummy like me understand physics?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
One thing my professor for first semester physics did at the beginning of each chapter: She gave us all the formulas for the chapter and had us derive them and truly understand where they came from and how they came to be. Having a solid foundation with the equations seriously helped when looking at problems.

Reactions: 1 users
So I have taken the MCAT already but based on this admissions cycle, I'm going to need to retake. I was stupid the first time I took the MCAT and only studies 6 weeks. I scored average on CARS, BIO, and PSY. However I totally bombed Physics and Chemistry. I always have to work for Chemistry but I know I can do better in it because I actually do understand it... but physics? I keep hitting the biggest brick wall ever. I just can't understand it at all. Like I can't even answer simple Velocity questions. I don't know what is wrong with me. I took two semesters of physics in college and got A+ in both classes but that was simply because the teacher spoon feed us the tests so it was simply a matter of memorization and showing that you were trying to understand the work. When i started studying for the MCAT I got almost every single physics question wrong. I've tried everything within my budget. Does anyone know any books that can help a desperate dummy like me understand physics?

I would suggest a few things: start doing a ton of practice from all different sources--Berkeley physics book passages, ExamKrackers 1001, Princeton Review Science workbook and any others you can get your hands on.

Also get yourself a copy of NOVA's Physics book.

Best of luck.

Go through the Chemistry and Physics Question Packs and make sure you understand the underlying concept from every question. (I increased ~40percentile on this section by doing this). When there are specific topics where you are weak and having difficulty, reinforce with specific topic related drill questions from EK 1001 Chemistry and EK 1001 Physics.

Sent from my SM-A300H using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I am going through the EXACT same issue. I am taking a break from watching videos by "The Organic Chemistry Tutor." He has helped me understand topics that I was frustrated with a few days ago. Most of his videos last 2-3 hours (I know... It is a long time), but I finish with confidence. January I will be ready to start practice passages and crush this exam once and for all (bombed it the first time). Good luck, OP.

... However I totally bombed Physics and Chemistry. I always have to work for Chemistry but I know I can do better in it because I actually do understand it... but physics? I keep hitting the biggest brick wall ever. I just can't understand it at all. Like I can't even answer simple Velocity questions. I don't know what is wrong with me. I took two semesters of physics in college and got A+ in both classes but that was simply because the teacher spoon feed us the tests so it was simply a matter of memorization and showing that you were trying to understand the work. When i started studying for the MCAT I got almost every single physics question wrong. I've tried everything within my budget. Does anyone know any books that can help a desperate dummy like me understand physics?

First off, you are far from being a dummy. I'm not a feel-good person in general, but I do strongly believe that you need to start by acknowledging that getting two A+s in physics is the work of someone who gets physics, no matter how much you feel the exam was given out in advance. You could not have scored so well without having a basic understanding.

The good news is that MCAT physics is not as intensive as your college class (less material covered and less math required). But, it is different. Math has been replaced with plenty and plenty of words. So while memorizing and deriving equations may assuage one's stress, it really does very little to help prepare for the MCAT.

First things first, STOP reading about physics. Instead, practice physics! Everything you do should involve doing physics questions and then re-doing what you missed. Learn the logic behind questions. If you get a question wrong, make sure you know how to get it right in the future. If you get a question right, then make sure you could get it right faster next time. Most importantly, look at all four answer choices to a question and rank them from best to worst and give a reason why. This may seem weird, but it will hone your PoE skills as well as make you think more about a topic.

I suggested this in another thread and will repost it here:

First, always practice in a multiple-choice test mindset. For instance, when you review an equation, don't simply memorize it and then question yourself if you recall it. Instead, write it as sentence at first. Second, contort that sentence into a question. Ultimately, turn it into a question with four answer choices.

For instance: F = ma.

Sentence: When an object of a given mass experiences an applied net force, it will accelerate.

Question 1: If two objects accelerate equally, then the heavier object must feel what relative magnitude of force?

Question 2: Two objects of unequal mass reach the same speed in the same amount of time from rest. What is true in this observation?
a) The heavier object experienced a smaller magnitude of force.
b) This is only possible if the objects moved in opposite directions.
c) The lighter object experienced the same force as the heavier object.
d) If the force applied to the heavier object were applied to the lighter object, it would reach a greater speed than the heavier object.

The purpose of this sort of exercise when studying is to transition general facts and definitions into an MCAT perspective, which will both increase your understanding of the concept as well as prepare you for the test.

As far as materials go, it is a stylistic preference for most people. So I again will quote from another thread.

My suggestion for the materials you use is that you match to your learning style. I believe strongly that working from a book that has tons of sample multiple choice questions in the text, followed by tons of passages and thorough explanations is the best thing you can use. It forces you to learn the material in a testing perspective rather than just memorize and categorize the information.

Good luck.

First off, you are far from being a dummy. I'm not a feel-good person in general, but I do strongly believe that you need to start by acknowledging that getting two A+s in physics is the work of someone who gets physics, no matter how much you feel the exam was given out in advance. You could not have scored so well without having a basic understanding.

The good news is that MCAT physics is not as intensive as your college class (less material covered and less math required). But, it is different. Math has been replaced with plenty and plenty of words. So while memorizing and deriving equations may assuage one's stress, it really does very little to help prepare for the MCAT.

First things first, STOP reading about physics. Instead, practice physics! Everything you do should involve doing physics questions and then re-doing what you missed. Learn the logic behind questions. If you get a question wrong, make sure you know how to get it right in the future. If you get a question right, then make sure you could get it right faster next time. Most importantly, look at all four answer choices to a question and rank them from best to worst and give a reason why. This may seem weird, but it will hone your PoE skills as well as make you think more about a topic.

I suggested this in another thread and will repost it here:

As far as materials go, it is a stylistic preference for most people. So I again will quote from another thread.

Good luck.
Thank you so much. I've ways felt dumb with physics because I can never answer the question right away. Once I have the question explained to me I can do kuch better... I just lost ll confidence with physics

Thank you so much. I've ways felt dumb with physics because I can never answer the question right away. Once I have the question explained to me I can do kuch better... I just lost ll confidence with physics

I had the same problem while studying- my C/P section was way lower than the others. For the last month of studying, when I wasn't taking practice tests, I was doing C/P practice problems constantly. I second what others above have said; do tons of practice problems and review them really carefully, right or wrong. Progress will seem slow, but you'll get there! Also keep a sheet of the most important formulas, angle calculations, etc and review it regularly.

I definitely wasn't getting A+s in physics courses, far from it in fact, but I did well on the MCAT by practicing a ton of passages. I highly recommend TBR physics because I used it on my MCAT and was very happy with the result. I often tell test-takers that I don't know physics (and haven't needed to know much physics in medicine) but for one glorious April day, I knew physics for the MCAT. It was the section I worried about the most and spent the last month practicing repeatedly. I really appreciated using the TBR material since it tested the same concepts from different perspectives and really forced me to go beyond the formula and into fully understanding the concepts. The key thing is to practice a lot of passages and then use those passages to identify weak areas in your understanding.

My favorite guide for preparing the MCAT has always been SN2ed's, which can be found here: Breaking Down the MCAT: A 3 Month MCAT Study Schedule

Make sure you practice the material released by AAMC and get comfortable with how they structure passages, which experiments they use, and how they phrase their questions and answers.

I definitely wasn't getting A+s in physics courses, far from it in fact, but I did well on the MCAT by practicing a ton of passages. I highly recommend TBR physics because I used it on my MCAT and was very happy with the result. I often tell test-takers that I don't know physics (and haven't needed to know much physics in medicine) but for one glorious April day, I knew physics for the MCAT. It was the section I worried about the most and spent the last month practicing repeatedly. I really appreciated using the TBR material since it tested the same concepts from different perspectives and really forced me to go beyond the formula and into fully understanding the concepts. The key thing is to practice a lot of passages and then use those passages to identify weak areas in your understanding.

My favorite guide for preparing the MCAT has always been SN2ed's, which can be found here: Breaking Down the MCAT: A 3 Month MCAT Study Schedule

Make sure you practice the material released by AAMC and get comfortable with how they structure passages, which experiments they use, and how they phrase their questions and answers.
Thank you! :D

What about velocity is confusing you exactly? Give an example problem that confuses you and we can help you figure out where your understanding and line of reasoning is falling short.

do examcracker 1001 physics. MCAT physics is different from the physics I had to learn in college. Its definitely much more palpable than school.

You're not alone. I've had many students tell me something like, "I finally understood physics for the first time after taking the Altius course." I think that the way physics is taught in college is a disservice. I remember my physics class as being nothing more than equation, equation, equation, and more equations. I would sit in the library with friends and work calculations every day, take a test, and never know anything more than I knew before I started. I was able to get A's and yet never understand physics concepts.

First, you can take a little bit of a deep breath because physics questions won't be a huge portion of the CP section, although some exam forms can drift into that "heavier in physics" realm. Also, you don't need to do any intense calculations of the kind that thwarted me in undergrad. Third, physics is actually FUN when you understand why things are happening. I try to teach all my students to understand physics in a conceptual manner. They are always required to answer four questions about each physics concept:

1. Can I visualize in my mind what is actually going on? (e.g., What actually causes friction at the molecular level? What is happening to photons at the surface of a concave lens?)
2. Can I draw a picture or graph of the problem or process? (e.g., Can I draw a free-body diagram, the circuit being described, the forces/vectors involved, a graph of current vs. time, velocity vs. time, etc.)
3. Can I think of a real-life example of this principle? (e.g., When does this process happen around me? Most everything you study in physics is happening around you, in your body, can be demonstrated with your pencil, by the lightbulb above you, etc.)
4. Can I re-teach this concept to someone else in layman's terms? (e.g., Could you teach it to your roomate who has never taken physics?)

Study, practice, and draw until you can confidently answer the four questions above and you'll have a great start toward becoming a physics zen master. Good luck!