How to pay for apps/interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0919mmk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
So I have been thinking about this one for a bit, and would like to get some collective SDN wisdom on this.

I am one of many applicants (especially but not exclusively nontrads) who fall between the cracks in terms of ability to pay for AMCAS and interview travel expenses: my parent's aren't poor enough that I qualify for the AMCAS aid program- whatever its called - but I am financially independent of them, I'm 25 years old, working FT, *****load of student loan debt, and definitely can't get a dime from my parents.

So I can't really afford to do this, but obviously I have to somehow. I am just looking to see how many of you are out there (I'm pretty sure the answer is "lots"), and if anybody has found any alternate sources of aid besides eating ramen for 8 months and canceling my subscription to Horse and Hound Enthusiast. I just wont give it up - they can take my internet, my cable, and my nights out, but I'll be damned before they take my horse and/or hound.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All,
So I have been thinking about this one for a bit, and would like to get some collective SDN wisdom on this.

I am one of many applicants (especially but not exclusively nontrads) who fall between the cracks in terms of ability to pay for AMCAS and interview travel expenses: my parent's aren't poor enough that I qualify for the AMCAS aid program- whatever its called - but I am financially independent of them, I'm 25 years old, working FT, *****load of student loan debt, and definitely can't get a dime from my parents.

So I can't really afford to do this, but obviously I have to somehow. I am just looking to see how many of you are out there (I'm pretty sure the answer is "lots"), and if anybody has found any alternate sources of aid besides eating ramen for 8 months and canceling my subscription to Horse and Hound Enthusiast. I just wont give it up - they can take my internet, my cable, and my nights out, but I'll be damned before they take my horse and/or hound.

Thanks!

I'm in more or less the same boat. Yes, it blows. Unless you can find some alternate source of funding, all I can really say is to live as cheaply as possible. I'm not making much right now, but my apartment is cheap, I cook and eat a lot of inexpensive food (beans and rice are a big staple), and I don't go out much. Money issues kept me from sending in my secondaries as early as I'd have liked, but I got them all in by the beginning of September. I just bought plane tickets to my first few interviews, and should be able to buy a decent suit after I get my next paycheck.

If you've been out of school for a while and have become used to spending most of your money, it's tough to cut back. Sadly, you probably don't have much of a choice. Look at it this way - you'll need to live cheaply as a med student anyway, so you might as well start getting used to it now.

Time to get a credit card. I'd ask if you have any savings but I assume you're American. :laugh:

I think $5000 is a base budget for an app year, if you have to do any traveling to interviews. $10,000 if you include an MCAT prep course and if your stats are sub-competitive.

If you're worried about paying this off before med school: good. Be worried. But if all you have in debt is maybe $5k in consumer debt when you start med school, that's not bad, you can get that paid off. What would be bad would be carrying a car loan or private student loans into med school. imho.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey All,

Thanks!

Some ideas to limit the costs are to get the MSAR and be very strategic about the schools you'll apply to. Look for places where your stats will be competitive and where you have ties (ie. your state school, a school in the state where you did UG if different, schools where you have family, etc.).

When it comes time to schedule interviews, if the option exists, try to cluster interviews in the same area around the same dates to minimize flights or other travel expenses. Also, elect to stay with a student host if the school offers that option.

Good luck!

Time to get a credit card. I'd ask if you have any savings but I assume you're American. :laugh:

I think $5000 is a base budget for an app year, if you have to do any traveling to interviews. $10,000 if you include an MCAT prep course and if your stats are sub-competitive.

If you're worried about paying this off before med school: good. Be worried. But if all you have in debt is maybe $5k in consumer debt when you start med school, that's not bad, you can get that paid off. What would be bad would be carrying a car loan or private student loans into med school. imho.

Best of luck to you.

You will have to get a credit card. I just consolidated all my credit card debt after 13 yrs of the whold pre-med, med school, residency thing. It just is the way of life especially for someone like me with kids, husband etc.

I went to med school with undergrad loans (I had them deferred) and a car loan. It was hard but it was manageable too.

As far as the MCAT, you just have to budget for it. If you get undergrad loans, that is part of what you pay out of that. Or get a credit card.

There is no easy way. Get a second job on the weekend delivering pizza - great tips and you can save that money for the travel you need to do.

yep. that is why i was originally planning on applying to only one school. i have since decided to up the number of schools that i apply for but that has gone to 4 schools and all are within driving distance of a couple hours (chicago is about 5 or 6 hours for me so if i get an acceptance next year before a possible chicago interview, that is the first one gone).

Some ideas to limit the costs are to get the MSAR and be very strategic about the schools you'll apply to. Look for places where your stats will be competitive and where you have ties (ie. your state school, a school in the state where you did UG if different, schools where you have family, etc.).

When it comes time to schedule interviews, if the option exists, try to cluster interviews in the same area around the same dates to minimize flights or other travel expenses. Also, elect to stay with a student host if the school offers that option.

Good luck!
I think that, in addition to the credit card, strategery is your best friend;)

Not only do you want to look at places where your stats are competitive, but look for places that appreciate non-trads and appreciate the kind of experience YOU have. When I applied, I feel like I did not do enough of this kind of research. Partway into the app cycle, I started PMing some people in school specific threads who were MS1s or MS2s, and asking them questions. Because of this, I applied to an additional 5 schools (late) and got interviews at 4 of them. Research is your friend! And you have plenty of time now to go through school-by-school and figure out which ones might appreciate you as an applicant so that you won't be wasting your money.

For instance....if you have a ton of research experience and publications, applying to a school that appreciates that even though your stats may be slightly low for them could actually work out. The same goes for interesting clinical experiences. Choose your battles.

And get a credit card with no annual fees or interest for at least the first 6 months:)