How to pay for medical school?

Horsiegirl101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys pay for medical school? My parents won't help me take out loans (cosign). Is there a way that I can sign for them myself? I can pay for undergraduate school, but I don't know how to for medical school. Why do I do?

Members don't see this ad.

By the time you would go to medical school you'll take out loans on your own just like everyone else. No need for parental cosigners in most cases

Reactions: 1 users
Stripper, prostitute, dealer. There are many ways to make money to pay for school.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Take out your own loans.

Reactions: 1 user
By the time you would go to medical school you'll take out loans on your own just like everyone else. No need for parental cosigners in most cases
Do you just go to any loan place that has decent % and say I am here for medical school loans, can I have 50k? Of course that isn't how it goes but I am curious.

You fill out a FAFSA and borrow it from the government just like everyone else. Your school will have a financial aid department that coordinates everything.

Seriously did you guys asking this question not even Google this first?

Reactions: 1 users
You fill out a FAFSA and borrow it from the government just like everyone else. Your school will have a financial aid department that coordinates everything.

Seriously did you guys asking this question not even Google this first?
Sorry, I googled it and all I found was that you will "take out loans", which is obvious.

You can borrow the entire tuition, fees and cost of living estimate if you have to. Of course that's how people end up $300k+ in debt after private medical school.
You could also join the military and get an HPSP scholarship. Though I wouldn't recommend it unless you have some interest in military service.

In all seriousness, scholarships if you can get them and federal loans are probably the best way to go if you and your family can't pay. They are good because unlike normal loans you don't have to start paying anything back until you graduate, and even then you don't have to for a while (though this will mean you'll pay more in the long run). Once you're a doctor, paying back loans won't be a problem. The problem will be how long it takes to pay them back.

I worked in my gap year and have enough saved up to live off for first year. I am borrowing my first year's tuition from my parents. I'll still have to pay them back the 43k I borrowed, but I won't have to pay the 25-40k in interest that would potentially come with the fed loan.

I can think of five ways to fund medical school:

1) Pay out of pocket
2) Scholarships
3) Loans
4) Military
5) MD/PhD

The vast majority of people take out loans. Only the very wealthy can pay out of pocket, although it helps to supplement loan or scholarship income with whatever you can. Scholarships are excellent if you are offered one, but full-tuition packages are rare even for exceptional candidates. Both the military and MD/PhD paths need to be considered very carefully because they take up years of your life, and will be miserable unless you have a genuine desire to join the military or work in research.