How to put myself in the best possible position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westsidestoryz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been accepted into a DO school, although I have yet to hear back from 20+ MD schools...

I just wanted to get some idea on how to succeed as a potential DO student and match into some of the more competitive residencies (rad onc, cardio, orto, etc).

I want to do everything I can from year 1 to give myself the best chance, such as early research opportunities, shadowing, LORS, grades, and Step 1 score.

Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Chill out. Go to school and try your best. See what kind of grades you get as a result. Almost everyone goes in giving 100% but not everyone gets to be at the top of the class or kill the USMLE. Adapt as you move along

Reactions: 5 users
My question is why do you have to match into a competitive specialty? What makes you think you would even enjoy any of them? Going DO is certainly not the best way of achieving that, but it is definitely a sure fire way of becoming a doctor. FM, IM, pathology, psychiatry, mild to moderately competitive IM sub-specialties, PM&R, are all possibilities but you just know that you have to be this vs that? It’s good to want to work hard and succeed well enough to maximize your chances for anything, but you just have to see what will truly fit you once you are here and experiencing the grind.

Members don't see this ad :)
So chill out until I experience school?

I just want to get an idea from students in school and have a game plan instead of going in blind.

And you're right, I don't know what I want to do, but I want to be in a position to have options, whether its FM or surgery.

Chill out. Go to school and try your best. See what kind of grades you get as a result. Almost everyone goes in giving 100% but not everyone gets to be at the top of the class or kill the USMLE. Adapt as you move along

"adapt as you move along" <------ best piece of advice for all students. thanks for posting that, hopefully others take it to heart.

Reactions: 5 users
It would be interesting if someone other than the all the primary care gurus answered this question. Anyone with commentary other than "chill and get ready for loving family med" or "relax go with the flow" or "you're not going to do as well as you think, just worry about passing".

match into some of the more competitive residencies

I believe using the link that @AnatomyGrey12 shares under his posts will be valuable (hint: NRMP). Google is you friend. Maybe in the mean time get acquainted with Anki?

You can draw your own conclusions from this
upload_2018-12-20_14-14-27.png

upload_2018-12-20_14-15-36.png

Just being honest.

If you want something other than IM, FM, Peds, Psych, PM&R, Anesthesia, or EM...

go to MD.

If you STILL want ANY of those?

STILL go MD.

LOL

Less hurdles and bull**** you probably have to deal with with bull**** COMLEX, ****ty advising, lackluster clinicals, and OMM (if you aren't into it.. ur gonna hate it).

It really is no secret.

I ONLY applied DO because I know I was not going to get into MD (I decided on medicine too late in the game) but I'm content. I'm not HAPPY persay. But thankful for the opportunity to be in medical school a short drive away from where I went to college and grew up.

But do not get it twisted.

MD > DO >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Caribbean.

People finna get butthurt but NOO EFFS GIVENNNN.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just being honest.

If you want something other than IM, FM, Peds, Psych, PM&R, Anesthesia, or EM...

go to MD.

If you STILL want ANY of those?

STILL go MD.

LOL

Less hurdles and bull**** you probably have to deal with with bull**** COMLEX, ****ty advising, lackluster clinicals, and OMM (if you aren't into it.. ur gonna hate it).

It really is no secret.

MD > DO >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Caribbean.

Its looking more and more like I will be going to a DO school, which I dont mind at all. But yes, the hurdles and other disadvantages I have read are why I am seeking advice. But seems like its mostly general advice (chill and see what unfolds)

Its looking more and more like I will be going to a DO school, which I dont mind at all. But yes, the hurdles and other disadvantages I have read are why I am seeking advice. But seems like its mostly general advice (chill and see what unfolds)

Go into school with the attitude that YOU WILL TAKE USMLE.

Think of the comlex like the ****ing high school exit exam. Think of USMLE as your SAT/ACT which actually matters.

Set yourself up for the best position.

Reactions: 3 users

Think of the comlex like the ****ing high school exit exam. Think of USMLE as your SAT/ACT which actually matters.

110% taking the USMLE. Way too early to be thinking about it but def going into each class and lecture with that test in the back of my mind.

if you cant get into an md school or wont wait a few extra years to do so, then the MD vs DO debate is all moot anyway. The reality is the degree will make it difficult, but not impossible, for you to match into rad onc or any super competitive specialty. If you are going to medical school even if it is md school you should go in with the idea that odds are you will match into primary care, and if that thought is repulsive you should think about if going through med school is worth it to you personally. Besides that as stated above, do well in school, exceptionally well , take the USMLE , do bench research if possible, and spend as much time building relationships with attendings at a residency program you are interested in. The forumula is not rocket science , your school however will make it difficult.

Reactions: 1 users

Just saying, I am going to study for the USMLE which should take care of the COMLEX material mostly. Our OMM faculty head gives us amazing study guides which his previous students who are now 3rd/4th years have said provides the necessary concepts to do well enough on the OMM aspect of COMLEX so that’s how I will hit that material lol. Just learn the bare necessities.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Because nobody has explicitly laid it out yet, based on what I have learned from SDN, crafting a strong residency app seems to really be pretty straightforward in theory (less so in practice of course):
  • Pass your classes
  • Smash your boards
  • Get involved in research as early as you feel comfortable, and get your name on some papers/posters/oral presentations
  • (do research in the most competitive field you're interested in... but also consider productivity of the labs and try to have a well-known and prolific PI)
  • Smash clinical rotations
  • Be good at interviewing

As for DO-specific advice I don't know. It seems like the biggest hurdle will likely be finding good research opportunities.

Dangit @libertyyne beating me to the punch +pissed+

Reactions: 6 users
if you cant get into an md school or wont wait a few extra years to do so, then the MD vs DO debate is all moot anyway. The reality is the degree will make it difficult, but not impossible, for you to match into rad onc or any super competitive specialty. If you are going to medical school even if it is md school you should go in with the idea that odds are you will match into primary care, and if that thought is repulsive you should think about if going through med school is worth it to you personally. Besides that as stated above, do well in school, exceptionally well , take the USMLE , do bench research if possible, and spend as much time building relationships with attendings at a residency program you are interested in. The forumula is not rocket science , your school however will make it difficult.
As a naive pre-med, I have yet to experience any of the fields. I am open to primary care or derm at the moment but I know for a fact my mind will change multiple times. As mentioned before, I want to place myself at the best possible position that I can achieve in case my heart heads towards derm or ortho. Family med or ortho, doesn't matter...at this point...just want to go in humble and ready

As a naive pre-med, I have yet to experience any of the fields. I am open to primary care or derm at the moment but I know for a fact my mind will change multiple times. As mentioned before, I want to place myself at the best possible position that I can achieve in case my heart heads towards derm or ortho. Family med or ortho, doesn't matter...at this point...just want to go in humble and ready
In that case you should go to an MD school.
But otherwise the advice is the same. Work hard, do well on boards, class and rotations, and do research and see where you end up.

In that case you should go to an MD school.
well..its not up to me. I am a reapplicant and a non-trad student. Took the MCAT twice and my GPA isnt solid.

I see medical school as a fresh start as a student. It is what it is. Gotta roll with the punches

Reactions: 1 users
well..its not up to me. I am a reapplicant and a non-trad student. Took the MCAT twice and my GPA isnt solid.

I see medical school as a fresh start as a student. It is what it is. Gotta roll with the punches
Work hard and see where that lands you.

Because nobody has explicitly laid it out yet, based on what I have learned from SDN, crafting a strong residency app seems to really be pretty straightforward in theory (less so in practice of course):
  • Pass your classes
  • Smash your boards
  • Get involved in research as early as you feel comfortable, and get your name on some papers/posters/oral presentations
  • (do research in the most competitive field you're interested in... but also consider productivity of the labs and try to have a well-known and prolific PI)
  • Smash clinical rotations
  • Be good at interviewing

As for DO-specific advice I don't know. It seems like the biggest hurdle will likely be finding good research opportunities.

Dangit @libertyyne beating me to the punch +pissed+

It's like people want there to be some super secret path to competitive specialties. This list right here is literally the only thing people need to know if they think they might want something competitive.

There isn't some secret formula for competitive specialties OP (or really just being a good residency applicant in general), it's simply a lot of hard work.

There’s no other way to put it except go in and kick a$$ at everything I do lol

3*(step score)*(1 if male 2 if female)+ bra size(F)+bicep size(M)*(#of family members in medicine)-500(for DOs)

You, my friend, are on a goddamn roll! lmao

In addition to the good advice above:

1. Great step scores and research is key. But if you don't have time for both, focus on Step scores. Poor scores + fantastic research will usually be low yield.
2. Take USMLE S1 and S2CK (no need for CS). Take them early enough that you have scores by Oct 1 (or better Sept 15).
3. Consider rotations at ACGME programs if possible. A good LOR from a known program can be very helpful.
4. Traditional AOA programs often use audition rotations as an assessment, unclear if that will change post merger.
5. You might not have time for #3 and #4.
6. Don't think that you'll be the person to get Ortho with a 211 S1. If you do 3 ortho research projects + 4 ortho away rotations and apply, you risk not matching in ortho nor in whatever backup you're applying to -- the backup will see all that ortho love and know you're not really interested. Your step scores might limit your choices, and you just need to work with that.

Reactions: 4 users
In addition to the good advice above:

1. Great step scores and research is key. But if you don't have time for both, focus on Step scores. Poor scores + fantastic research will usually be low yield.
2. Take USMLE S1 and S2CK (no need for CS). Take them early enough that you have scores by Oct 1 (or better Sept 15).
3. Consider rotations at ACGME programs if possible. A good LOR from a known program can be very helpful.
4. Traditional AOA programs often use audition rotations as an assessment, unclear if that will change post merger.
5. You might not have time for #3 and #4.
6. Don't think that you'll be the person to get Ortho with a 211 S1. If you do 3 ortho research projects + 4 ortho away rotations and apply, you risk not matching in ortho nor in whatever backup you're applying to -- the backup will see all that ortho love and know you're not really interested. Your step scores might limit your choices, and you just need to work with that.
Excellent advice! Thank you

Go into school, grind hard in class and get the best grades possible. Do some research between 1st/2nd yr. Review for boards on top of 2nd yr studying and do well. Pick your specialty 3rd year, do auditions and work hard in 4th yr. Match “competitive” specialty. With the merger sprinkle in more specialty specific research 3rd year before applications. Profit.