How to schedule 3rd year rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trp2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are interested in IM/Peds combined residency, what is the best order to schedule your rotations? What should be taken first, what should be taken later? Do I need to make sure to take Peds and IM during a certain time of the year? Any advice will be really appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are interested in IM/Peds combined residency, what is the best order to schedule your rotations? What should be taken first, what should be taken later? Do I need to make sure to take Peds and IM during a certain time of the year? Any advice will be really appreciated.

Ideally in the middle of your rotations. Beginning of 3rd year you are in unfamilar territory, trying to learn how to do H&P, SOAP notes, present patients, follow-up. If you do medicine or peds, you will be spending some of your energy trying to learn basic skills.

Middle of MS3 - you still have energy and you've handled the basics.

End of MS3 - not a major issue if you do peds or medicine towards the end. However, if you discover that you hate medicine or peds, end of MS3 is hectic in trying to schedule electives in fields that you may be interested in but have not experienced as a 3rd year (anesthesiology, ortho, ENT, optho, rads, etc)

One thing to keep in mind is that Pediatrics is seasonal - you will see more of one disease during one part of the year, and another disease during another part of the year.

Ideally in the middle of your rotations. Beginning of 3rd year you are in unfamilar territory, trying to learn how to do H&P, SOAP notes, present patients, follow-up. If you do medicine or peds, you will be spending some of your energy trying to learn basic skills.

Middle of MS3 - you still have energy and you've handled the basics.

End of MS3 - not a major issue if you do peds or medicine towards the end. However, if you discover that you hate medicine or peds, end of MS3 is hectic in trying to schedule electives in fields that you may be interested in but have not experienced as a 3rd year (anesthesiology, ortho, ENT, optho, rads, etc)

One thing to keep in mind is that Pediatrics is seasonal - you will see more of one disease during one part of the year, and another disease during another part of the year.

Thanks, I really appreciate you taking out the time to answer my question. Here are two potential schedules I am looking at, and I am leaning more towards Schedule A:

Schedule A: OB/Gyn, Psych, IM (winter break), Peds, Surgery, Family Med
Schedule B: Family Med, Peds, Surgery (winter break), IM, OB/Gyn, Psych.

Any advice on how this looks?

Thanks, I really appreciate you taking out the time to answer my question. Here are two potential schedules I am looking at, and I am leaning more towards Schedule A:

Schedule A: OB/Gyn, Psych, IM (winter break), Peds, Surgery, Family Med
Schedule B: Family Med, Peds, Surgery (winter break), IM, OB/Gyn, Psych.

Any advice on how this looks?

Honestly it doesn't matter

if you ask residents what their MS3 schedules were, almost all won't remember