How to shadow OMFS if school doesn't have OMFS specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetTooth07

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! How can a dental student shadow an OS if the school doesn't have an OMFS specialty? Do I have to shadow one at a hospital or do schools usually have an OMFS clinic even if they don't have the residency? I know only 3rd and 4th years can extern at OMFS programs but I was hoping to get some experience before that so I can decide if I really want to pursue OMFS.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a D1 and have been figuring this out. If you have some free time before school, I would absolutely reach out to some OMS offices in your area and inquire about shadowing the surgeons that works there, make sure to mention you are about to begin dental school and to schedule for a day that they have a good number of procedures. Your school may have an OS clinic, if so speak with faculty there early on in D1 and ask if they are comfortable letting you watch upperclassman or them do OS procedures. I have found that most faculty and students are open to letting me get more exposure when I have free time here and there. Ask lots of questions.

Reactions: 2 users
You need to go to a program at a hospital to really understand what OMS is. Dental school extraction clinic isn’t a good representation.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You might be able to do an externship early on. It’s likely to be a mostly hands-off observership, which some externships are that way anyway. It never hurts to ask. The worst they could say is no.

It’s also worth noting the other requirements for applying to OMFS programs. If you’re seriously interested, the CBSE is an important part of your application, so I would definitely recommend learning more about it and determining how you plan on studying for it. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
You might be able to do an externship early on. It’s likely to be a mostly hands-off observership, which some externships are that way anyway. It never hurts to ask. The worst they could say is no.

It’s also worth noting the other requirements for applying to OMFS programs. If you’re seriously interested, the CBSE is an important part of your application, so I would definitely recommend learning more about it and determining how you plan on studying for it. Best of luck to you.
This couldn’t be more true. I’m a D1, interested in OMFS and while I’ve been down to our OMFS clinic a couple of times, grades and CBSE studying right now is way more important. I’ve gotten to know a couple of faculty but they’ve all repeated that CBSE is king. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to reach out to a couple of local OS’s in your area though. Just my two cents

I am a D1 and have been figuring this out. If you have some free time before school, I would absolutely reach out to some OMS offices in your area and inquire about shadowing the surgeons that works there, make sure to mention you are about to begin dental school and to schedule for a day that they have a good number of procedures. Your school may have an OS clinic, if so speak with faculty there early on in D1 and ask if they are comfortable letting you watch upperclassman or them do OS procedures. I have found that most faculty and students are open to letting me get more exposure when I have free time here and there. Ask lots of questions.
I was thinking of doing this as well but I was hoping to shadow in a hospital because that's where residency will mainly take place. I'll definitely reach out to some in my area though to ask questions and shadow

Have you heard of programs letting students extern early on?

I've researched the CBSE for a while and I think I have a plan on how to study for it. Have you taken the exam before?

I was thinking of doing this as well but I was hoping to shadow in a hospital because that's where residency will mainly take place. I'll definitely reach out to some in my area though to ask questions and shadow
Definitely follow the other advice in this thread, like they said, once you have seen enough and think that you might want to do OS, work hard, keep your grades up and do the CBSE. Easier said than done, but it is a clear path these days. Exposure to hospital side has been tough due to COVID, I wish you luck.

Reactions: 1 user

I've researched the CBSE for a while and I think I have a plan on how to study for it. Have you taken the exam before?
None that openly advertise it. My best advice would be to target those who state the externship is “observational” or something along those lines. Shoot them an email and find out what they say. Externships are largely reserved for upperclassmen, but you don’t know until you ask.

Here’s my advice on the cbse and sequence of events. Take it as you wish. I think you should focus on the cbse before you venture into externships, even if you’re not 100% on OMFS. It’s not a requirement, but it simply makes sense. It’s the biggest obstacle, and you can’t apply without it. The cbse is by no means easy, and some people need multiple attempts to get a competitive score.

None that openly advertise it. My best advice would be to target those who state the externship is “observational” or something along those lines. Shoot them an email and find out what they say. Externships are largely reserved for upperclassmen, but you don’t know until you ask.

Here’s my advice on the cbse and sequence of events. Take it as you wish. I think you should focus on the cbse before you venture into externships, even if you’re not 100% on OMFS. It’s not a requirement, but it simply makes sense. It’s the biggest obstacle, and you can’t apply without it. The cbse is by no means easy, and some people need multiple attempts to get a competitive score.
This is right. Plenty of time to extern and shadow, but without the CBSE, it's all kind of a moot point. To get a "feel" for what oral surgery is like, shadow some OS's near you. That is likely what your life will look like anyway. And while I'd say from 4 months of studying the process of studying is straightforward, it is definitely not easy haha

“Private practice” oral surgery is quite different from most residency programs, and most programs are going to greatly differ from one another. Something to keep in mind when shadowing or on an externship. Still, both are valuable experiences.

Reactions: 2 users
Figure out what Oral Surgery is before committing to studying for the CBSE. You need to know what you’re working for before you go after it.

Reactions: 1 user

Most (if not all?) programs won’t let you external unless you’ve already done your OMFS rotation during your specialty clinic rotations. Not sure how that works with dental schools that don’t have OMFS though.

Also, be prepared to adjust your CBSE study plan as you go. You’ll realize what works and doesn’t work along the way, so be flexible to adjust accordingly.

Google “OMFS in XX City”. Call the private offices, see if they’re willing to let you shadow in their office. Ask the OMFS faculty at your school. Find out if you can find a way to do some observing in the OR, it’s not that difficult at some hospitals, especially if you aren’t scrubbing in.

Then go do some real externships in D3/D4 and see how a residency program operates.