how to specialize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winchetkidJR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it true that in order to specialize you need to finish top of your class, and since now the board exams are based on pass/fail starting with the freshmen class enrolling this next fall, you also need to be good looking. considering its all politics if you are ugly do you even stand a chance? only the gpa they will be able to base it off of because the board will be pass/fail, so ive heard that looks will play a huge part. any input.

Members don't see this ad.

haha, I doubt looks will matter. Like always, they will play their part as people are naturally biased to prefer the good-looking.

is it true that in order to specialize you need to finish top of your class, and since now the board exams are based on pass/fail starting with the freshmen class enrolling this next fall, you also need to be good looking. considering its all politics if you are ugly do you even stand a chance? only the gpa they will be able to base it off of because the board will be pass/fail, so ive heard that looks will play a huge part. any input.

Where your class rank has to be depends on what specialty you want to pursue. Oral surgery, ortho expect top 10% or better. For many of the other ones 20% or better. I have heard talk of specialty programs implementing their own entrance exam to test your knowledge of that specialty, but these are just rumors and don't know how valid they are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are dental schools known for good clinical programs called GP schools? I know schools like Harvard, etc, that are less clinically based are known for specializing. Can anyone explain that to me? It seems counterintuitive. Wouldn't you want the people who are specializing to have more clinical experience and training?

As for looks... I don't know. The oral surgeon who took my wisdom teeth was a bamf, but he was ass ugly too.

Why are dental schools known for good clinical programs called GP schools? I know schools like Harvard, etc, that are less clinically based are known for specializing. Can anyone explain that to me? It seems counterintuitive. Wouldn't you want the people who are specializing to have more clinical experience and training?

As for looks... I don't know. The oral surgeon who took my wisdom teeth was a bamf, but he was ass ugly too.

...cause they produce lots of General Practitioners. Clinical schools tend to focus less on research as well, which is pretty important when you want to specialize. Also, a lot of schools located in rural places tend to produce lots of well-rounded general dentists that are a sort of jack-of-all trades practictioners and can thus serve the dental needs of the entire community. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I've heard.

...cause they produce lots of General Practitioners.
Thank you, I had no idea.

Clinical schools tend to focus less on research as well, which is pretty important when you want to specialize. Also, a lot of schools located in rural places tend to produce lots of well-rounded general dentists that are a sort of jack-of-all trades practictioners and can thus serve the dental needs of the entire community. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I've heard.

Some of the big name clinical schools are in urban areas, though - Tufts, Temple, UOP (for example) are all in big cities. I guess I just thought it'd make more sense for specialty programs to like students with good clinical skills rather than research skills.