How to study before medical school (not trolling)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's why I wouldn't prestudy: burn-out. Burn-out is very very real amongst med students. You will most likely be studying more than you've ever studied for the next two years. Then you'll start your rotations where you get to study on top of spending hours in the hospital or clinic. Then you start residency, where you get to study on top of spending hours in the hospital or clinic and actually starting to have real responsibility for patients.

If you start med school already having studied the material for 1/2 a year (all the while actually spinning your wheels since you don't really know what your professors at your specific med school think is testable), then you're just increasing your risk of getting burnt out during med school. And you definitely want to avoid being burnt out when you're actually in classes (or at least minimize the length of said burn-out:laugh:)

But this whole discussion might be for naught since it sounds like you're already convinced that you should do it :)

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with all of that. I just don't like the negativity here on SDN directed to those who are excited for medical school and want to give themselves a better chance at doing well. Even if it's a 1% chance, someone has to be that 1%. I just feel like of all things to direct negativity towards, it shouldn't be at someone who is trying to do well. Will they learn a lesson that could have been avoided? Maybe. But if they've read the opinions of the majority and still want to follow the few that did it and didn't regret it, then let them. There are worse things in life.

Well since you really want a straight answer I'd say the only thing maybe worthwhile pre-studying is anatomy. It may help you if you've never seen the material beforehand. If you have ever had an anatomy class then any benefit is miniscule.

Any other class will vary so much from any book you could buy ahead of time that 90% of the information you would learn from, say biochemistry, would not be taught or would be emphasized in a completely different manner. So lets say you put in 5 hours a week pre-studying the material for 12 weeks in the summer. If only 10% of the stuff will be relevant then you may have "saved" yourself 6 hours of studying in medical school (basically 1 or 2 days of study time) That's not worth it in my book but pre-meds will be pre-meds.

I was considering taking an anatomy class at the local community college from Jan to May. I only work part time and if I take just one class I'll still have time to chill.

But is that not a good idea? The doc I shadowed recommended I take anatomy before I start med school since I've never taken it before...

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Members don't see this ad :)
i was considering taking an anatomy class at the local community college from jan to may. I only work part time and if i take just one class i'll still have time to chill.

But is that not a good idea? The doc i shadowed recommended i take anatomy before i start med school since i've never taken it before...

Sent from my galaxy s2

+1

I was considering taking an anatomy class at the local community college from Jan to May. I only work part time and if I take just one class I'll still have time to chill.

But is that not a good idea? The doc I shadowed recommended I take anatomy before I start med school since I've never taken it before...

Sent from my Galaxy S2

If you just want something to do and literally have nothing else to do, then sure, go for it. It just seems silly to spend six months of your time and some cash on a class that you will have to study for again anyway. Sure, it might make anatomy easier, but it's not like medical school consists only of anatomy.

I was in the same situation as you before entering medical school. I was kind of bored before entering medical school. Find something interesting that is unrelated to medicine or science. Enjoy that because very soon you will not have time to do anything else. The person you are now is not going to be the same person once you enter medical school.

If I could go back, I think I would have learned to speak French before entering. If you run out of ideas, ask your friends what they would be doing with free time and do those.

I was in the same situation as you before entering medical school. I was kind of bored before entering medical school. Find something interesting that is unrelated to medicine or science. Enjoy that because very soon you will not have time to do anything else. The person you are now is not going to be the same person once you enter medical school.

If I could go back, I think I would have learned to speak French before entering. If you run out of ideas, ask your friends what they would be doing with free time and do those.

Good idea! I think I might just spend the time to learn Spanish! I could take a class plus I have Rosetta stone I think laying around so could put that to use.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

As someone earlier suggested, I agree with the whole "try to make yourself a more rounded individual" during this time. Similar to the OP, I've also found myself "itching" to study since I've been out of school for a year and a half now and really want to make sure I hit the floor running once classes begin. However, I take the "do not study" advice to heart and instead opt to entertain my mind in other ways. For example, I've read about five different books lately (a lot for me considering I had not read a book in years! lol) ranging from healthcare to a classical novel. I KNOW that in medical school my time to read for pleasure will be severely limited, so I'm trying as hard as I can to read books and novels that I find interesting. The OTHER positives to this are: 1) I am hoping to learn more about our current healthcare practices (I'm interested in health policy), and 2) My reading speed was never very good, so I hope to improve it by mindfully reading faster.

Of course this is just an idea OP and I think ultimately you will do what you want, BUT I think YOU can come up with more creative ways of "preparing yourself" for medical school than simply grabbing a medical or science textbook. Just my two cents. :)

As someone earlier suggested, I agree with the whole "try to make yourself a more rounded individual" during this time. Similar to the OP, I've also found myself "itching" to study since I've been out of school for a year and a half now and really want to make sure I hit the floor running once classes begin. However, I take the "do not study" advice to heart and instead opt to entertain my mind in other ways. For example, I've read about five different books lately (a lot for me considering I had not read a book in years! lol) ranging from healthcare to a classical novel. I KNOW that in medical school my time to read for pleasure will be severely limited, so I'm trying as hard as I can to read books and novels that I find interesting. The OTHER positives to this are: 1) I am hoping to learn more about our current healthcare practices (I'm interested in health policy), and 2) My reading speed was never very good, so I hope to improve it by mindfully reading faster.

Of course this is just an idea OP and I think ultimately you will do what you want, BUT I think YOU can come up with more creative ways of "preparing yourself" for medical school than simply grabbing a medical or science textbook. Just my two cents. :)

You are doing it 100% right. :thumbup:

(sent from my phone)

I have never been to medical school, but I enjoy studying just like you. I can't tell you what would be really helpful, but the Kaplan USMLE review material for the step 2 and 3 exams is pretty fun to review. The step two is pretty basic and I was able to understand it with just my background in anatomy, and for the stuff I didn't understand I used medscape reference (gives you a basic overview). I learned a lot, and of course it's not stuff you need to know right now, and it probably won't help you in your first year, but it's a lot funner than trying to make sense of USMLE first aid or robbins pathology. Good luck to you!

I have never been to medical school, but I enjoy studying just like you. I can't tell you what would be really helpful, but the Kaplan USMLE review material for the step 2 and 3 exams is pretty fun to review. The step two is pretty basic and I was able to understand it with just my background in anatomy, and for the stuff I didn't understand I used medscape reference (gives you a basic overview). I learned a lot, and of course it's not stuff you need to know right now, and it probably won't help you in your first year, but it's a lot funner than trying to make sense of USMLE first aid or robbins pathology. Good luck to you!

Wow. Best example of the blind leading the blind yet.

You were able to understand Step 2 material by anatomy knowledge? :confused:

As a medical student, I had the same concern; however, after reading numerous discouragements for pre-studying, I decided not to listen to anyone and go about my way. I also didn't take "studying for medical school" literally. An advise that asks you to avoid new information at all cost before you will emerge into your intense studies at medical school, is not conducive to your sucess, nor is it healthy for your brain.

A strategist will not go in blind unto a battlefield. You need to exercise your brain, but not extremely. If you were not already familiar with anatomy, biochemistry, biology and/or physiology in your undergraduate program, you should familiarize yourself with general concepts now, but NOT the specifics. Specifics will not help you -- they will burn you out. You need good foundation in the basics and it will hold you firm in the hard times of information overload.

The best preparation I received before medical school was my employment at private medical clinics, doctors of which engrained crucial medical knowledge into my brain, which today makes it easier for me to acquire the specifics of pathology, microbiology, pharmacology, etc.*

You already did a lot of studying by obtaining a Bachelor's degree, physician shadowing experience, volunteering and a good MCAT score -- just keep moderately exercising your brain cells and you will make it in medical school!

So why would a school pre-require anatomy or biochemistry before matriculation (osu?)

Reading through some of these, it seems like everyone is telling you to not study and making fun of pre-studying. I was just like you, I had plenty of time before school started and thought maybe I could study a little bit before I started school. I never understood why everyone was so against pre-studying until I started med school. (Thank god I didn't pre-study and instead had tons of fun before school started)

Let's put this into perspective. I have a degree in biochemistry...4 years of course work. And all that helped me with was the first week of class. After the first week, I was at square one and had no more "advantage". Not sure how much time you have before your classes start, but at MOST it'll give you a week. Now, if you were to get a masters in biochemistry or anatomy or something before school starts, then sure, that'll give you maybe 2 weeks or even 3 weeks...but that's it. Trust me, if you can spend those few months having fun, traveling, going out, etc etc, take it! Once you're in med school, you won't even have weekends off!

Reactions: 1 users
Reading through some of these, it seems like everyone is telling you to not study and making fun of pre-studying. I was just like you, I had plenty of time before school started and thought maybe I could study a little bit before I started school. I never understood why everyone was so against pre-studying until I started med school. (Thank god I didn't pre-study and instead had tons of fun before school started)

Let's put this into perspective. I have a degree in biochemistry...4 years of course work. And all that helped me with was the first week of class. After the first week, I was at square one and had no more "advantage". Not sure how much time you have before your classes start, but at MOST it'll give you a week. Now, if you were to get a masters in biochemistry or anatomy or something before school starts, then sure, that'll give you maybe 2 weeks or even 3 weeks...but that's it. Trust me, if you can spend those few months having fun, traveling, going out, etc etc, take it! Once you're in med school, you won't even have weekends off!
I'm sure OP appreciates your help. Even though they'd be an MS4 now.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay, I'm curious about this too. My biochem class in college was almost useless, it was taught by somebody with dementia who refused to step down from his position, and because he was tenured our chemistry department sacrificed one class to him every semester. Unfortunately, this was biochem when I took it. So I have a really weak grounding in biochem. Does anybody have suggestions for how to re-teach myself the basic biochem I need for med school?

Okay, I'm curious about this too. My biochem class in college was almost useless, it was taught by somebody with dementia who refused to step down from his position, and because he was tenured our chemistry department sacrificed one class to him every semester. Unfortunately, this was biochem when I took it. So I have a really weak grounding in biochem. Does anybody have suggestions for how to re-teach myself the basic biochem I need for med school?
Are you starting soon? If you are, then don't bother and just enjoy the time you have left. If you do have some time, you can watch some youtube videos and get some basics down. Most classes out there aren't medical school specific (even the ones in collage), so you'll be learning a lot of other useless stuff that won't even be taught at your med school. Watch some Khan academy or search for USMLE prep videos just to see what kind of topics you might be covering in med school. But there is no need to pre-study. As mentioned above, having a degree in Biochemistry barely helped me with the first week. You get so much information so fast that any preparation beforehand will be used up in a day or two. That's def not worth missing out on weeks or months of relaxation and fun.

Are you starting soon? If you are, then don't bother and just enjoy the time you have left. If you do have some time, you can watch some youtube videos and get some basics down. Most classes out there aren't medical school specific (even the ones in collage), so you'll be learning a lot of other useless stuff that won't even be taught at your med school. Watch some Khan academy or search for USMLE prep videos just to see what kind of topics you might be covering in med school. But there is no need to pre-study. As mentioned above, having a degree in Biochemistry barely helped me with the first week. You get so much information so fast that any preparation beforehand will be used up in a day or two. That's def not worth missing out on weeks or months of relaxation and fun.

Oh I'm definitely going to be enjoying this time as much as my 50 hour a week job allows :)

I was just thinking I would study 20-30 minutes a day on my commute. I figure if I extend that for 6 months, it should be enough to catch me back up painlessly.

Edit: and no, not starting this year. Hopefully next!