How to study for CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetTooth07

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am going to start dental school in the fall and I am seriously thinking of specializing in anesthesiology which now requires the CBSE. I was wondering what is the best way to study for this exam, what resources should I use and when should I take the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Studying for the CBSE is essentially studying for the medical school Step 1.

There is an incredible amount of information out there on how to study for this test, but the general meta today is using some combination Anki (AnKing/Lightyear, etc.), UFAP (UWorld, First Aid, Pathoma), Boards and Beyond, and NBME’s for practice.

There are many more resources out there, but it’s best to do your own research and compile resources based on how you personally study, as there are a variety of ways to accomplish the same end goal, which is to basically memorize everything in First Aid.

I would wait until at least after the fall semester of D1 to start studying. The best time to take it is probably either Feb of D2, or summer before D3, but this will be school dependent.

Reactions: 1 user

There is an incredible amount of information out there on how to study for this test, but the general meta today is using some combination Anki (AnKing/Lightyear, etc.), UFAP (UWorld, First Aid, Pathoma), Boards and Beyond, and NBME’s for practice.

There are many more resources out there, but it’s best to do your own research and compile resources based on how you personally study, as there are a variety of ways to accomplish the same end goal, which is to basically memorize everything in First Aid.

I would wait until at least after the fall semester of D1 to start studying. The best time to take it is probably either Feb of D2, or summer before D3, but this will be school dependent.
Thank you for replying. I've been reading that UWorld is the best resource to use but should be used after going over a couple of other resouces like First Aid. I have to do more research to see which other ones are best for me. Have you taken the CBSE before?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for replying. I've been reading that UWorld is the best resource to use but should be used after going over a couple of other resouces like First Aid. I have to do more research to see which other ones are best for me. Have you taken the CBSE before?
Get a good foundation. I would recommend doing Sketchy micro/pharm, and I wish I had sketchy path memorized to the same level as micro/pharm. If you think you'll have a good enough basic science knowledge from D school, I say proceed to rip through UWorld as much as possible. If you need more basic science, get boards and beyond and do that before UWorld.

What's the difference between CBSE and ADAT? I've seen some programs list ADAT scores as a requirement. Or are they both the same?

What's the difference between CBSE and ADAT? I've seen some programs list ADAT scores as a requirement. Or are they both the same?
CBSE is completely different. it's basically a medical exam that medical students would take.