How to study for Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chesspro_md

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the good study guides for Step 3. I have a couple of months off before residency starts so I am going to try and take Step 3 early. So any type of study advice would be wonderful.

Thanks, Chess.:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Background: I am a 1st year path resident straight from med school (no intern year) who passed in October, 5 months out from med school (218/89)

#1: Kaplan QBank. Weel worth the money. Numerous hits on the exam.
#2: Do the CCS sample cses from the USMLE a few times.
#3: Crush Step 3
#4: Boards and Wards
#5: For quick review, Step 3 made ridiculously simple.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm taking it in 4 days and haven't studied like i had planned. being on call q3-4 for the whole year just leaves me too tired to read.

can anyone tell me how the days are scheduled.

day 1: how many blocks?
day 2: MCQs and clinical cases? how many blocks of each?

it's crazy how i knew the ins and outs of step 1 months before i took it. i don't even know what to expect on step 3. this could be disastrous.

Step 3 day:

Day 1: 8 blocks of 48 questions each.
Day 2: 4 blocks of 35 questions each, followed by 9 CCS cases.

Suggestion: Download the CCS cases from the USMLE and practice them so you'll be familiar with the format.

Why did I study so much? Because I went straight path and was scared about taking a test designed for people having just finished their intern year.

just finished step 3 today.

i don't think i did too well on the 9 cases.

does anyone know how those are graded (i.e. combined with the MCQs for a score or do you need to get a passing grade on the cases independently of the MCQs?

thanks.

does the step 3 qbank you can order for 1 or 3 months include JUST the boatload of database questions or does it ALSO include CCS-type exams?

sohsie said:
Step 3 day:

Suggestion: Download the CCS cases from the USMLE and practice them so you'll be familiar with the format.

Why did I study so much? Because I went straight path and was scared about taking a test designed for people having just finished their intern year.

I'd like to take Step III as well right after 4rth year. Do you remember if you need to send a copy of your diploma to register and how long did you need to wait after you registered to get your scheduling permit???

thanks

DoxtaHuxtable said:
Pinky, did you pass?

i was nervous when i opened the envelope. i actually did much better than i had expected. thanks.

QuinnNSU said:
It sounds like you guys studied a lot for Step 3... whatever happend to "#2 pencil?"

Q, DO

Hey Quinn,
How much did you study for COMLEX 3? Did you really only need the "#2 pencil?"

sohsie said:
Step 3 day:

just to clarify, i believe that day 1 has 7 blocks of 48 questions...i.e. total TESTING time is 7 hours (for EACH day 1 and day 2), according to usmle info website:

Step 3 is a two-day examination. You must complete each day of testing within 8 hours. The first day of testing includes approximately 336 multiple-choice items divided into blocks of 48 items each. There will be 60 minutes of time allowed for completion of each block of test items. There is a maximum of 7 hours of testing on the first day. There is also a minimum of 45 minutes of break time and a 15-minute optional tutorial. Note that the amount of time available for breaks may be increased by finishing a block of test items or the optional tutorial before the allotted time expires.

The second day of testing includes 144 multiple-choice items, divided into blocks of 36 items. These blocks will take 45 minutes. The total time allotted for these blocks is 3 hours. The second day also includes a Primum® Tutorial and instructions for which approximately 15 minutes are allowed. This is followed by 9 case simulations, for which 4 hours are allotted. There is an optional survey at the end of the second day, which can be completed if time allows. To download the tutorial and practice materials for Primum, please click here and look in the section marked Step 3.

A minimum of 45 minutes is available for break time. The timing and structure of the Step 3 testing days may change without notice; please refer to the USMLE website for the most up-to-date information.

UW seemed to be right on in terms of style and difficulty.
Wished I had practiced the CCS cases more, though. Actually almost all case topics were straight from Usmleworld.

Gosh this is an old thread. :)

I spent a long weekend skimming through Crush, memorizing the high-yield stuff, and flipping through the cases at the back of First Aid.