How to Swap Residency obtained in 2010 Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medsRus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched into a residency via NRMP. If I need to swap a residency position for another locale, what is the best way to do this? I am in a real big crunch, but I don't want to violate any NRMP rules. My decision to swap is not a convenience issue, it really is a matter of necessity. I would really appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I matched into a residency via NRMP. If I need to swap a residency position for another locale, what is the best way to do this? I am in a real big crunch, but I don't want to violate any NRMP rules. My decision to swap is not a convenience issue, it really is a matter of necessity. I would really appreciate any help.

You need a minimum of 4 things:
1. Somebody to swap with
2. Approval from the PD at the program you matched into
3. Approval from the PD at the program your "swap partner" matched into
4. A waiver from NRMP

These things range from "extremely difficult" to "well nigh on impossible" to obtain and getting the 4 of them together, well, you (hopefully) get the point.

Better to start your Matched spot, work your ass off and shoot for a PGY2 spot closer to wherever you need to be. Keep in mind that all of this will be made more difficult by your IMG status.

You've already posted your specialty and the name of your new program (quite a good name, as a matter of fact, who might be distinctly unamused at being cast aside so lightly). We know you're a Caribbean grad and that you most likely have a Russian surname. In short, you'll be quite easy for your new program to identify.

You also stated you were disappointed with your match as you had hoped to be in SoCal "basking in the sun"-- hardly a necessity, I should think. Has something dramatically changed in the last week?

In short, I would tread lightly if I were you.

You need a minimum of 4 things:
1. Somebody to swap with
2. Approval from the PD at the program you matched into
3. Approval from the PD at the program your "swap partner" matched into
4. A waiver from NRMP

These things range from "extremely difficult" to "well nigh on impossible" to obtain and getting the 4 of them together, well, you (hopefully) get the point.

Better to start your Matched spot, work your ass off and shoot for a PGY2 spot closer to wherever you need to be. Keep in mind that all of this will be made more difficult by your IMG status.

Thanks for your input. Must I get that NRMP waiver even before trying to seek another program to swap in?

Thanks for your input. Must I get that NRMP waiver even before trying to seek another program to swap in?

The waiver is at the "well nigh on impossible" end of the spectrum. But if you're really going to do this (and I should point out that I'm with BD on this one, you have nowhere to go but down from here) you should be pursuing all 4 at the same time.

Better to start your Matched spot, work your ass off and shoot for a PGY2 spot closer to wherever you need to be.

Isn't it pretty much just as hard to switch programs once you've started? Wouldn't he/she still need a swap partner and both PD's approval? How tough is it to break your contract once you've started? Sounds like a tough position to be in...I think I would only pursue if absolutely necessary.

Isn't it pretty much just as hard to switch programs once you've started? Wouldn't he/she still need a swap partner and both PD's approval? How tough is it to break your contract once you've started? Sounds like a tough position to be in...I think I would only pursue if absolutely necessary.

No, at that point you're just looking for an open position. No swap would be necessary.

Also, if you show up on the morning on July 1, your Match contract is fulfilled. Give 30 days notice @ that point and move on. Of course, if you don't have something lined up already you're hosed.