How to transition to the next step?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreamer716

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got some bad news and I needed some advice on trying to rebound and make the next step before I graduate. Lol I really hope I don't get mocked and be made an example of.

So I wasn't offered a job at CVS. I'm currently a last year intern and I work in an extremely busy district (like most districts). Me and the supervisor have a good relationship and he said I won't be ready to handle stores in his district by May. Please don't laugh. I've been an intern for about less than a year and I have continously gotten better but to no avail. My supervisor said this doesn't close the door of me working for that company down the line. I can still intern with them. So what I'm really thinking of is working for a supermarket chain to hone my skills than be able to tackle those stores. Easier said than done. How do I go about it? I got my intern job from my rotation. Do I look for local recruiters? Should I attend Midyear? Do I wait it out and impress the next major chain that have 2 upcoming rotations with? Please help. PM's would be appreciated as well.

Members don't see this ad.

So I just got some bad news and I needed some advice on trying to rebound and make the next step before I graduate. Lol I really hope I don't get mocked and be made an example of.

So I wasn't offered a job at CVS. I'm currently a last year intern and I work in an extremely busy district (like most districts). Me and the supervisor have a good relationship and he said I won't be ready to handle stores in his district by May. Please don't laugh. I've been an intern for about less than a year and I have continously gotten better but to no avail. My supervisor said this doesn't close the door of me working for that company down the line. I can still intern with them. So what I'm really thinking of is working for a supermarket chain to hone my skills than be able to tackle those stores. Easier said than done. How do I go about it? I got my intern job from my rotation. Do I look for local recruiters? Should I attend Midyear? Do I wait it out and impress the next major chain that have 2 upcoming rotations with? Please help. PM's would be appreciated as well.
What where you having trouble with as an intern? QT? QP? Taking transfers? Doing some consultations? Where you able to communicate with the staff and able to communicate with customers efficiently?

You are not cut out for busy retail. Most of the pharmacists that work for me aren't either. They make slightly less money and have an infinitely better quality of life. Congratulations.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What where you having trouble with as an intern? QT? QP? Taking transfers? Doing some consultations? Where you able to communicate with the staff and able to communicate with customers efficiently?

It's nothing in particular. I just didn't work as much during school that I should've and now I was in catch-up mode. I did, however, find it difficult to manage QT while having someone constantly in my face at drop-off but I have improved.

Consider applying for residencies and consider other career paths.... I always hated the phrase "everything happens for a reason", but this time I think it's applicable...

It's nothing in particular. I just didn't work as much during school that I should've and now I was in catch-up mode. I did, however, find it difficult to manage QT while having someone constantly in my face at drop-off but I have improved.
That is the dumbest thing. You will hardly be at drop off as a pharmacist. I type a lot for QT but I do it at the QP and QV station. There has to be something else to this unless your area is just saturated. True story, my area hired to pharmacists over 50 that are burning stores down.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you sure they are letting you stay on as intern? I thought CVS stopped keeping interns who they won't hire as pharmacists.

There are too many variables in your scenario. Some grocery chains don't need interns. They don't even need pharmacists. If you can find one that does, go for it. However, make sure there is some possibility of you staying on with them as a pharmacist. Honing skills at a grocery chain to work for CVS is useless. Either way, a year is a long time and that supervisor might need a pharmacist down the line. So keep working for CVS as an intern but keep looking for a job.

Apply to Walgreens and Wal-mart

Why you want to hone your skills at another company just to work for CVS? The goal is to avoid CVS altogether.

Reactions: 3 users
Why you want to hone your skills at another company just to work for CVS? The goal is to avoid CVS altogether.

Just to finish what I started. Don't like the way this came to an end. Thanks for all the input guys guess I'm back to square one. I hope I can tag along somewhere as a last year intern, as incredibly difficult as that sounds, before I graduate.

That is the dumbest thing. You will hardly be at drop off as a pharmacist. I type a lot for QT but I do it at the QP and QV station. There has to be something else to this unless your area is just saturated. True story, my area hired to pharmacists over 50 that are burning stores down.

What areas would that be?

It might be a blessing in disguise that you were not hired by CVS. However, you only said you were told you couldn't handle stores in that district. It kind of seems like if CVS is your goal, you could still get hired by one somewhere else (I'm not a retail person so forgive me if I'm clueless as to how their hiring process works). Or if you just want to do a big chain, I'm sure there's something out there for you. Don't count yourself out just because of what one guy said.

You should be happy your DM likes you enough to honestly tell you you can't handle the workload, and that he cares enough about you that he's letting you stay on. Stay with CVS to get more experience and start looking elsewhere, wherever you think you have interest.

Reactions: 1 user

I didn't intern for CVS, but I got turned down for hire by them after doing two interviews and being told to expect an offer this past spring. Was a really ****ty feeling when it happened, but the best thing that could have happened to me.

I ended up getting a grocery job making more money at a low volume store. If you can avoid CVS and land a grocery job, jump at it. I would take my current job over CVS even if I was making less. Don't stick with a company just to prove a point.

It is one guys opinion. Just reflect on if what the DM said had some validity or not and make a plan to improve. I apparently wasn't good enough for CVS and now I'm killing it. It all depends on you.

Word of warning: grocery gigs are typically harder to come by than CVS.

Reactions: 1 users