How to use Goljan in post-pathoma era

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

addy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I followed everyone's suggestion and only did pathoma for a while. However, I just got the RR 4e, and I have to say, I love it! Having said that, how have people been going about using both the texts?

Also, has anyone tried to turn all the blue margin notes into anki cards? I know people did for the 3rd edition, but I heard the 4e has more!

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So, I followed everyone's suggestion and only did pathoma for a while. However, I just got the RR 4e, and I have to say, I love it! Having said that, how have people been going about using both the texts?

Also, has anyone tried to turn all the blue margin notes into anki cards? I know people did for the 3rd edition, but I heard the 4e has more!

Thanks for your input!

Honestly goljan isn't just pathology. I wouldnt recommend reading goljan until you have a solid grasp of physiology, biochemstiry as basic sciences. Once you know those inside out reading goljan turns into a story book. i also recommend going through FA, and brs path before reading goljan. When you read goljan, then- its a review and not a colossal undertaking.

People say goljan is too much info- but I've found that its only too much if you're weak on basic subjects. Otherwise its a great review of high yield material. At the end of the day FA +pathoma should really be your gold standard

Honestly goljan isn't just pathology. I wouldnt recommend reading goljan until you have a solid grasp of physiology, biochemstiry as basic sciences. Once you know those inside out reading goljan turns into a story book. i also recommend going through FA, and brs path before reading goljan. When you read goljan, then- its a review and not a colossal undertaking.

People say goljan is too much info- but I've found that its only too much if you're weak on basic subjects. Otherwise its a great review of high yield material. At the end of the day FA +pathoma should really be your gold standard

yea, I agree, Goljan is amazing because it covers everything and more. Pathoma is great for explaining concepts, but it can be sparse on the details that you need to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read Goljan to pull things in together after I get the basics from Pathoma/annotate everything Sattar says into it.

I do not annotate into Goljan. If I need to skim then the blue margins are perfect. I only annotate into FA these days.

I totally get what you're saying, but unfortunately I'm at a 1.5 year curriculum so biochem doesn't come until GI, which will be in a couple of months...