How to work after the big A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Just a rambling thread of sorts, but I've really been floating after getting that big ol' A. I'm happy (and tired) after the last four years, and with some time off between January and med school in the fall, I know the typical advice is to settle in for eight months of R&R. That being said, I also wanted to work part time (maybe in a non-medical field), just to earn some coin and keep myself focused on having a commitment to work on. Additionally, some other folks have told me to focus on earning money more (24-40 hours/week) so I can pay off 10-15k extra of med school costs without having to resort to loans. The math for that argument says I'd save only 5-10% of my loan cost after interest, which does not seem like much. Than being said, those folks are much better with money than I am, so I don't know what to think. Anyone else in a similar boat before M1/ any MD-MBAs who can offer insight into whether it's feasible to get a job and save up before med school? Any cool ideas for what to do -job-related or otherwise-- also appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
honestly make some money to stash it away to your savings. Use maximum of loans, but work now to have a stash. I am M4 and i am having trouble with the fact that moving is expensive and you will also need to cover living expenses between med school and residency. Also - if you want to do away rotations during M4 year (that you might have to do, depending on specialty), you will need to cover those expenses too. And non of this is included in the loans per se. So, stash some money aside now, and keep it there. Till you start residency.

oh, also application for residency is CRAZY expensive. several thousands of dollars depending on the specialty. So, have an extra 10-15K min is useful.
I had to WORK through medical school because i dont have any social support

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Just a rambling thread of sorts, but I've really been floating after getting that big ol' A. I'm happy (and tired) after the last four years, and with some time off between January and med school in the fall, I know the typical advice is to settle in for eight months of R&R. That being said, I also wanted to work part time (maybe in a non-medical field), just to earn some coin and keep myself focused on having a commitment to work on. Additionally, some other folks have told me to focus on earning money more (24-40 hours/week) so I can pay off 10-15k extra of med school costs without having to resort to loans. The math for that argument says I'd save only 5-10% of my loan cost after interest, which does not seem like much. Than being said, those folks are much better with money than I am, so I don't know what to think. Anyone else in a similar boat before M1/ any MD-MBAs who can offer insight into whether it's feasible to get a job and save up before med school? Any cool ideas for what to do -job-related or otherwise-- also appreciated :)
Do whatever you want! Full-time, part-time, or nothing at all - it's up to you! These will be your last few months of having no added responsibilities and being able to do things because you want to and not because you need to, so take full advantage of it. While minimizing debt is important, as an attending, this extra $15k even with interest can be quickly paid off in several months' time (and even much sooner if being debt-free is your priority). So don't work yourself too hard, you've earned this break! Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user