How valuable are connections/close ties to a competitive institution when applying to residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yerrrrrrrrrrrrr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just read through that whole thread on malignant NYC programs and had a chuckle because I'm from NYC and very seriously intend to stay here. As an M2, I'm very focused on staying as competitive as I can to match IM in NYC.

With that said, I have nearly a decade of work experience at a top tier academic institution in NYC, and I am still working there occasionally to maintain connections, stay friendly with faculty and make money of course. I have grown to love and feel very much at home at this institution, and I do imagine matching there would be really cool. In fact, relating back to all the negative rhetoric surrounding bad programs in NYC, you could say that this hospital is the "Devil I do know" and it could be beneficial to already be familiar with the crappy parts of this hospital, and not have to learn a whole new place's culture. However, I know better than to go around saying it's that program or bust -- I find that akin to a pre-med loudly insisting they are certain to become a pediatric neurosurgeon. I know I need to keep my options open, get to know other programs, and stay realistic with my future residency applications.

Sorry for the long explanation above -- my real question is: In continuing to prioritize this highly competitive institution (which I will be doing by studying hard, aiming for top quartile of my class, crushing clerkships, publishing, and scoring high Step 2 over the next 2.5 years)... would my long-term connections, previous employment, likely LORs and research publications from this institution help my case in matching there, and if so how much?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In continuing to prioritize this highly competitive institution (which I will be doing by studying hard, aiming for top quartile of my class, crushing clerkships, publishing, and scoring high Step 2 over the next 2.5 years)... would my long-term connections, previous employment, likely LORs and research publications from this institution help my case in matching there, and if so how much?
In short, yes it will definitely help. It won't take you from uncompetitive to matching (ie you still need all the other aspects of a strong app to be competitive) but if you would otherwise be competitive for the program it will definitely give you a leg up.

Reactions: 1 user