how well do you think this person could do with no studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

northwestmedic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
a biochem professor at a top private university (it's a "to die for" one)

i'm assuming he does everything except P/S... and zero study.

i told him (real person), "wouldn't you have to study a few days... even for physics?"... he said "no"

top 25% percent score possible? i have no doubt he could do well with a week's study.

i'm just curious... i might send him a practice exam (i won't act as proctor though. so his word)

i say no way he does really well with a time limit. no time limit i'd have great confidence in him.

Members don't see this ad.

thx for the responses.

he's a biochem professor and 4 of 5 hard science components are biology, biochem and 2 chemistries. so that's a pretty giant headstart.

as support of how easy he thought it'd be, he offered to draw all 20 amino acids right then. not sure what that proves but it does suggest the info is second nature.

given that there is no AAMC detailed content guide, he doesn't have to be concerned with "how X is taught/interpreted".....

i just think the physics is going to throw him and that he would have to figure some stuff out with units and deep critical thinking i.e. how lenses/mirrors work.... but he said "no"...

anyway, there is no way to replicate test conditions or an actual AAMC exam (i found no practice exam, even AAMC's was that similar.. it was strange that i don't think AAMC's section banks followed the subject weightings

Members don't see this ad :)
It took me a while to realize this as I was studying that content knowledge was just the tip of the iceberg. I emphasized memorization and got my butt handed to me on my first homework sets. Going over the answers and reading how I was suppose to think about questions helped me start looking at questions the right way. That is what studying really comes down to.

So if your biochem professor is good at critical thinking and processing data, then I'd bet he would do really well cold. If he is someone who has memorized many facts without critical thinking, he'll not do well.

So if your biochem professor is good at critical thinking and processing data, then I'd bet he would do really well cold. If he is someone who has memorized many facts without critical thinking, he'll not do well.

I've heard the MCAT described as closer to a logic exam, but the vocabulary is all chem/bio/physics. If you don't know the "language" you have no hope of answering correctly but that's not all you need. I only just started studying recently but so far I'd agree.

OP it's not like there's anything stopping him right? Like how there's nothing stopping me from taking the SAT now to see how my score would compare to my high school score. But that doesn't sound fun at all so why would I ever do that.

I did very little studying for the MCAT and did very well, but I was a biochem major. I'd be curious what I could do now, but I'm not going to put in any time nor money to take the test for giggles.