How/when to start job hunt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy2three

PGY-1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Halfway through second year - had recruiters hounding me since July and have not responded to any yet
How soon is too soon if I am looking for a job within a certain geographical area? Is now too soon to keep ear to ground and start preliminarily looking?
And if I am looking within a preferential area is it best to use a recruiter vs calling hospital recruiter vs mailing CVs to local practices with cover letter vs some combination of above?
If it makes a difference about the only thing I have ruled out is full time hospitalist - I would be open to traditional or outpatient only practice, I may even consider urgent care.
Thanks all for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a reason why you say to avoid independent recruiters?

My experience has been they weren't all that helpful in providing me with opportunities with what I was looking for in a practice. However, I'm sure they have helped plenty on this board (possibly). As with anything, YMMV.

Are you more likely to find better opportunities if you call hospitals? How about online job listings?

Are you more likely to find better opportunities if you call hospitals? How about online job listings?

You may contact those online postings. A lot of them are either hosp based recruiting or independent recruiters contracted to certain practices. I found something via word of mouth and hospital recruiter for a private practice gig. The hospital simply funds my start up and bonus, etc in the initial year. I'm protected from a non-compete for 3 years as long as I stay in the area for the 3 years. It was a nice set up and I'm not obligated to stay with the group if it doesn't work out for me and may join any practice in the area without issues.

In my surfing I have seen a few online job listings that have peaked my interest
But they seem to be through recruiters from what I can tell
Like I said I am looking at a very specific geographical area with a strong preference for a certain geographical area and was thinking I can wait for the right job

In my surfing I have seen a few online job listings that have peaked my interest
But they seem to be through recruiters from what I can tell
Like I said I am looking at a very specific geographical area with a strong preference for a certain geographical area and was thinking I can wait for the right job

Are you currently in that area you want to practice?
If not, it might be worthwhile to entertain recruiter options.
I just couldn't stand independent recruiters, they were such a waste of my time. They often did a bait-and-switch in terms of actual location, type of practice, etc. They want your CV and then they distribute it even though they report that they wouldn't unless they had permission.

Are you currently in that area you want to practice?
If not, it might be worthwhile to entertain recruiter options.
I just couldn't stand independent recruiters, they were such a waste of my time. They often did a bait-and-switch in terms of actual location, type of practice, etc. They want your CV and then they distribute it even though they report that they wouldn't unless they had permission.

No I am not
Residency is in Michigan

Ideal work would be in Chicago area/southeast Wisconsin

I had good experiences with local, employed recruiters with systems I was interested working in. In-house recruiters know best and as you spend a lot of time communicating with them, you build a rapport and they're more prone (IMO) to help you out. I sent feelers out in March/April of 2nd year to see opportunities and then as soon as 3rd year started because more serious. I don't know if this is true, but I can reason it true to myself: any system looking for physicians should have enough common sense to employ a recruiter.

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't start looking for a job until the last 6 months of my fellowship. Signed in May lol.
Earlier the better, but I wouldn't fret if it's January of your last year and you still haven't found a job yet. There's plenty out there.