How will the 2015 MCAT look on me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toffey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took a simulated practice version of the old MCAT. No studying or anything, just saw that it was getting deleted January, and figured, hey, why not.

I got 30, 9PS/9BS/12VR. It seems like a proportion I don't see often, so I was wondering if anyone with similar abilities could chime in on how best to study. Probably just refreshing all my science material?

Will the new MCAT be better for me with my good verbal skills? I know no one really knows a lot about it yet, but I was just wondering if I will be one of those people who benefit from the newer, crazier MCAT.

I'm so not happy with having to be the guinea pig for 2015 -____-

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure the new MCAT will be set so that neither side (pre-2015 vs 2015) gets advantage. The score you get on either exam will (and should) be reflective of your cognitive abilities as a standard.

So I just took a simulated practice version of the old MCAT. No studying or anything, just saw that it was getting deleted January, and figured, hey, why not.

I got 30, 9PS/9BS/12VR. It seems like a proportion I don't see often, so I was wondering if anyone with similar abilities could chime in on how best to study. Probably just refreshing all my science material?

Will the new MCAT be better for me with my good verbal skills? I know no one really knows a lot about it yet, but I was just wondering if I will be one of those people who benefit from the newer, crazier MCAT.

I'm so not happy with having to be the guinea pig for 2015 -____-

I have similar results in my practice tests. Verbal tends to be way higher naturally than the sciences. I've wondered the same thing but don't have any answers to give you. I wondered if the addition of psychology and sociology wouldn't boost those who tend to score higher in verbal, but with no practice test out yet, I really have no idea what the answer is.

I read somewhere that adcoms look more closely at the verbal section score because there is a strong correlation between that score and Step 1 results. Not sure as to the veracity of that statement, but I did read that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have similar results in my practice tests. Verbal tends to be way higher naturally than the sciences. I've wondered the same thing but don't have any answers to give you. I wondered if the addition of psychology and sociology wouldn't boost those who tend to score higher in verbal, but with no practice test out yet, I really have no idea what the answer is.

I read somewhere that adcoms look more closely at the verbal section score because there is a strong correlation between that score and Step 1 results. Not sure as to the veracity of that statement, but I did read that.

Good to see someone like me :) Well, the way I see it, all we have to do now is study the sciences really well and then kick butt on all three sections. But yeah, hopefully we get practice tests and stuff soon.

For studying, do you mostly focus on memorizing the sciences, since your reasoning skills are good?

Yes, complete science review. I find a lot of the bio section to be verbal related too, which is why I wonder if the "less hard science" characteristics of psycho and soc will be good for test takers like us.

If it makes you feel any better, my verbal coach in TPR started out the verbal review class with a comparison of those with lower verbal scores and higher science scores (first practice test with no review) and those with higher verbal score and lower science scores. Said the one more likely to be called "Doctor" at the end of real studying/MCAT prep was the person with the higher verbal and lower science. Just tends to be harder to raise the verbal score substantially, apparently.

Yes, complete science review. I find a lot of the bio section to be verbal related too, which is why I wonder if the "less hard science" characteristics of psycho and soc will be good for test takers like us.

If it makes you feel any better, my verbal coach in TPR started out the verbal review class with a comparison of those with lower verbal scores and higher science scores (first practice test with no review) and those with higher verbal score and lower science scores. Said the one more likely to be called "Doctor" at the end of real studying/MCAT prep was the person with the higher verbal and lower science. Just tends to be harder to raise the verbal score substantially, apparently.
Yeah, I was really surprised by the bio section, like most of the answers were in the passage. I mostly missed the stand-alone ones.
But ya, good to know :)