How would a pharmacist go about getting research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MelaNix12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

How would a practicing pharmacist (who graduated school awhile ago, is way past doing a fellowship, etc.) go about getting research experience? Lets say she/he wanted the experience for a career change. Even if the experience is on a volunteer basis...

Members don't see this ad.

Define what you mean by research or what type of job/experience you want in research?

Reactions: 1 user
@zona2016 I want to move into industry eventually and pursue MSL positions. A lot of job descriptions say something like "3 or more years clinical or health economic research experience required/preferred".

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you been working in retail or hospital?

I work at a small community hospital. To my knowledge, I do not know of any research/drug studies going on in my hospital.

That's perfect, So MSL positions draw a lot from "clinical experience" so you can apply and tailor your resume to specific therapeutic areas depending on your experience. Also, look for CRO and contract positions on their job boards. Its not rocket science nor you need a fellowship to work in industry where 99% don't have a PharmD or even a doctorate, except for specific positions.

@zona2016 Ok thanks for the fast replies. Ya I'm aware not all MSL positions REQUIRE research experience. I just didn't know if there was a way I could gain some research experience "on the side" while I keep my full time job as a pharmacist...to set myself apart. Even if it's just something little...just so I can have a "story" and something to put on my resume

Well, on the side its hard because there isn't such a thing unless you are a professor in academia. You can maybe get involved in precepting students on rotations or reaching out to a pharmacy school nearby has a relationship with setting up a research project with them. It probably doesn't have to be anything fancy but something to get started with and the regulations and set up. Just my 2 cents

@zona2016 I want to move into industry eventually and pursue MSL positions. A lot of job descriptions say something like "3 or more years clinical or health economic research experience required/preferred".
The translation of that is: "industry fellowships, residencies, or 3+ years of equivalent work experience required," where "equivalent experience" means direct work experience such as having worked as an MSL already or having an health economics research degree (which means you'd have real project experience).

Sorry to burst your bubble but doing "volunteer research on the side" isn't going to be worth anything/make you stand out because that is what students can also do, and nobody hires students with "volunteer research" experience into these types of roles. Your best bet is to either go back to school to pursue another degree or play the long term game and try to transition into a clinical position first, before attempting to become an MSL.

It's probably not what you want to hear but the reality of the situation is that retail pharmacy is a dead end career path because the skills gained from working as a retail pharmacist aren't translatable to very many other avenues of "pharmacy."

The translation of that is: "industry fellowships, residencies, or 3+ years of equivalent work experience required," where "equivalent experience" means direct work experience such as having worked as an MSL already or having an health economics research degree (which means you'd have real project experience).

Sorry to burst your bubble but doing "volunteer research on the side" isn't going to be worth anything/make you stand out because that is what students can also do, and nobody hires students with "volunteer research" experience into these types of roles. Your best bet is to either go back to school to pursue another degree or play the long term game and try to transition into a clinical position first, before attempting to become an MSL.

It's probably not what you want to hear but the reality of the situation is that retail pharmacy is a dead end career path because the skills gained from working as a retail pharmacist aren't translatable to very many other avenues of "pharmacy."

Yes you are somewhat correct about retail being a dead end career path. I'm actually in a clinical position now. I'm a clinical pharmacist at a hospital. I just don't do any research in my current role

Yes you are somewhat correct about retail being a dead end career path. I'm actually in a clinical position now. I'm a clinical pharmacist at a hospital. I just don't do any research in my current role
I missed that. If you're a clinical pharmacist then do you interact with MSL's drug reps? Usually that's an avenue in the door. Otherwise, if your hospital doesn't conduct research at all then you could possibly go back to school to do a research degree, and try to leverage that knowledge to start up a research program internally. Either way, if you want legitimate research experience then you'd have to go back to school. If you just want to be an MSL then I wouldn't go down the research route.

I missed that. If you're a clinical pharmacist then do you interact with MSL's drug reps? Usually that's an avenue in the door. Otherwise, if your hospital doesn't conduct research at all then you could possibly go back to school to do a research degree, and try to leverage that knowledge to start up a research program internally. Either way, if you want legitimate research experience then you'd have to go back to school. If you just want to be an MSL then I wouldn't go down the research route.

I agree, I believe the fastest and more efficient route is to go back and purse a PhD in Outcomes Research. You will publish several times in your PhD pursuit and the degree itself validates your research capabilities, I know a PharmD who went that route.

I agree, I believe the fastest and more efficient route is to go back and purse a PhD in Outcomes Research. You will publish several times in your PhD pursuit and the degree itself validates your research capabilities, I know a PharmD who went that route.

There's a lot of masters programs in health economics and outcomes research now so that could be another avenue. I know a lot of colleagues that finished up their PhD from pretty reputable programs and still had to do a stint (1-3 years) in post-doc fellowship, consulting, government, etc. before they got a serious consideration from big pharma. At the end of the day its about experience, not really education - but one begets the other ..

Since we're talking about HEOR - one other point to make is that a lot of pharma companies/departments are super elitist when it comes to PhD vs Other degrees (MS/PharmD/MPH/etc.) and cap people to certain levels depending on what degree you have.

Reactions: 1 user