How would adcoms view my career change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted435584

I started out as a premed who had clinical & non-clinical ECs, decent MCAT. After 2 rounds of applications with no acceptance to med school, I went to another healthcare school. The reason I pick another career over postbacc/SMP is that it practically enables me to have a career after all that investment and effort, rather than spend tons of money on postbacc and still don't know where you'll end up at in the end... While I like this alternative choice, I don't have a passion for it as I do for Medicine, and I don't think I can be fully happy doing it for the rest of my life. I love Medicine, and I'm thinking of reapplying for med school. My only worry is how adcoms would view my path of being a premed --> another healthcare field --> back to premed. How does adcom view people who use another career as a "post-bacc"?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long have you worked in the other healthcare field? Or are you still in school for this other program?

Sometimes the shortest distance between two points is a crooked line.

You will need to consider why you're a better candidate now as opposed to your first two cycles.

I started out as a premed who had clinical & non-clinical ECs, decent MCAT. After 2 rounds of applications with no acceptance to med school, I went to another healthcare school. The reason I pick another career over postbacc/SMP is that it practically enables me to have a career after all that investment and effort, rather than spend tons of money on postbacc and still don't know where you'll end up at in the end... While I like this alternative choice, I don't have a passion for it as I do for Medicine, and I don't think I can be fully happy doing it for the rest of my life. I love Medicine, and I'm thinking of reapplying for med school. My only worry is how adcoms would view my path of being a premed --> another healthcare field --> back to premed. How does adcom view people who use another career as a "post-bacc"?