How would you handle this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edieb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished internship in September and, in the same month, successfully defended my dissertation. Unfortunately, I neither had the time nor the foresight (mostly time) to start applying for jobs before finishing my internship.

I recently flew to another state for a scheduled job interview. The morning of the interview, the school called me and said I would need to re-schedule because they were unexpectedly busy. I told them that I had flown down there for the interview and really needed it to be held as planned (no money to fly back). They gladly complied.

When I got to the interview, I learned that the job was advertised as being in Oak Park, IL but was really at the Univ of Chicago in the city of Chicago, itself. Also, although the job duties were very slightly different (was 90 percent research to 10 percent clinical now was 95 percent research). They went ahead and interviewed me for the job and everything went great. They asked a lot of questions and even had printed out all the publications I had (25 + of them) and asked me questions about them. They even had an upcoming manuscript about to be published in Psychological Assessment and asked me some stuff about it, too.

A few days later, they called and offered me the job. I told them I needed to make sure I could live on the salary offered in the city where the job was and I needed 2 days to investigate. Well, one day later, I received an e-mail from HR saying they rescinding my job offer and apologized for any inconvenience this may cause. No explanation was given.

That e-mail was on Friday. I spent the whole weekend in a depression thinking I must have gotte a bad referece. I called my references (one is a friend and supervisor) and he said nobody had ever called him to check me out. So I called HR and they said that they took back the job offer because the position was mis-advertised in terms of geographic location, university rules said they had to re-post the job. They further stated that although I would not have to re-interview I woud have to re-apply.

Well, they just re-posted the job yesterday and I re-applied. It seems to me that since I already interviewed and got this job, they should just hire me, but I doubt that will happen. Because I am very short on money and need a paycheck, I want to e-mail the HR director and ask her how long till they take down the job posting/hire somebody. Do you think this would look unprofessional?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there would be ANYTHING unprofessional about that. I think it would be justified in any situation but especially considering that they opened the door on unprofessionalism.

edieB,

I'm so sorry. That really stinks! :mad: I don't know what to advise. Hopefully the re-posting is nothing more than a formality. Again, that is so unfair and a big disappointment, I'm sure. I hope you get the job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well first of all they are being unprofessional, not you.

And let's consider the possible outcomes.

1. You talk to the director and either, (a) piss them off or (b) get the job

2. You don't talk to the director and you don't get the job.

You're going to have to talk to the director I think, it's the best choice. Not to mention that if you are going to be viewed as unprofessional after the crap they pulled on you, do you really want to work for them anyways?