Howard Match List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medhearter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was curious to see a match list (from any year) for Howard University College of Medicine

I've been looking all over the internet and these forums and haven't found one yet :S

I'm very excited about starting at Howard this coming July, and feel like I want to know everything I possibly can about the school, including the kind of residency matches its students have gotten.

Please post one, or a link here, if you have one!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do residencies do the URM thing? I ask for the following reason: I have done a lot of clinical work in an urban minority population with HIV - I plan on continuing this as a physician so I will be applying to Howard. If residencies follow the URM program, I should take this match list with grain of salt, because >90% of those matches are by URM's into higher programs than I would match into if I were graduating from Howard with similar stats non-URM.

inb4 URM flame war (plz don't)

Do residencies do the URM thing? I ask for the following reason: I have done a lot of clinical work in an urban minority population with HIV - I plan on continuing this as a physician so I will be applying to Howard. If residencies follow the URM program, I should take this match list with grain of salt, because >90% of those matches are by URM's into higher programs than I would match into if I were graduating from Howard with similar stats non-URM.

No. There's no preferences for residency apps.

What in that post or those lists leads you to believe that more than 90% of those people are URM? Howard medical classes are very diverse and contain more than one or two whites, middle easterners or asians. There are plenty of ORMs who have attended and graduated from Howard.

No. There's no preferences for residency apps.

Definitely true. Howard has a good reputation of producing folks who perform very strong clinically and who do quite well on board exams.

What in that post or those lists leads you to believe that more than 90% of those people are URM? Howard medical classes are very diverse and contain more than one or two whites, middle easterners or asians. There are plenty of ORMs who have attended and graduated from Howard.

80% URM, not 90%. It's not a bad thing - I feel like you may be being a bit defensive about it. But if residencies had a URM-like policy in place it would be something to consider when looking at a match list that is 80% URM's if you are an ORM.

howardmakeup.png

I hope Howard and the other HBCU's I applied to will be kind to me. I am of Caribbean descent (7/8 South Asian, 1/8 African) but my EC's and PS don't really fit their mission statement of serving the underserved and destitute.

I hope Howard and the other HBCU's I applied to will be kind to me. I am of Caribbean descent (7/8 South Asian, 1/8 African) but my EC's and PS don't really fit their mission statement of serving the underserved and destitute.

...then why would they accept you?

Maricel M. Cubangbang ||| Georgetown Univ Hosp-DC ||| Otolaryngology

SICK last name!

I work at a hospital around tons of fellows and they say that when it comes to residency that everything is name brand. One guy said graduating from Howard as the top student in your class is like being the best pitcher in the minor leagues meaning you won't get really get a shot at competitive residency placements. I told him I am applying there this cycle and he is like did you consider Caribbean schools first or DO?

I work at a hospital around tons of fellows and they say that when it comes to residency that everything is name brand. One guy said graduating from Howard as the top student in your class is like being the best pitcher in the minor leagues meaning you won't get really get a shot at competitive residency placements. I told him I am applying there this cycle and he is like did you consider Caribbean schools first or DO?

inb4 this turns into an 8 thread page

that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

howard is a US-MD school.

being in the top 10% at howard still means ull be in the AOA

here's the thing, even if a portion of the residency admissions population really thought that way, howard students are still getting placed in comparably competitive specialties. so there's gotta be something going for them right?

more than the name of the school.
its about your board scores
your performance in clinical years
your research pubs etc
and your reference letters.

when you're the best pitcher in the minor leagues... you get called up to the major leagues.. Not sure if I am getting the reference

do they consider race when doing residency placements?

General consensus seems to be that AA is not as strong when program directors evaluate residency applicants as it is for med school adcoms and UG adcoms. It's really about getting those Step 1 scores, AOA, 3rd year grades, etc. moreso than race.