How's EK Osmosis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimmy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Examcrackers Osmosis audio? How much did it help? Is it worth buying it? What are the pros and cons about it?
I'll appreciate all your comments!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I have been recently using Audio Osmosis during my prep. for the August 2006 test.

I like it because it is terse. It tells you exactly what you need to know. However if you're the type that would be more secure in knowing every nook and cranny of each topic, you would probably want to check in with Kaplan's and TPR's review materials as well. The Audio Osmosis also effectively explains the material well. You'd be surprised at how much random and off-the-wall info. you'll remember after listening to these CDs. Thus, the Osmosis part is very effective (for better or for worse, I can remember Jordan's explanations after listening to them).

I love Audio Osmosis. I think it is very helpful and a great way to learn material. Just keep in mind that it was made in like 1999 and some areas may be outdated. But if you use them in conjunction with the new EK 6th edition study guides (which I highly recommend) it'll be fine. There are also errata lists for audio osmosis that you can consult.

I just started using the audio osmosis for the April MCAT, listened to about 5 lecture topics now.
It's Ok, I mean, you shouldn't expect to get a 45 from listening to these guys go over the basic sciences. And that's what this is, they cover the very basic MCAT topics tersely (as stated above), so it is nothing extraordinary by any means.

The strong positive of these CD's is that it definitely mixes up your routine. It is a nice break/reward to sit and listen to the MCAT materials instead of just reading/re-reading and doing questions. And you listen every other day or so, so it's like having some buddies with you helping you along. But it is just a nice optional aside, by no means mandatory or a MUST to have.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT #1-KAPLAN HOME STUDY
-AAMC PRACTICE TESTS
-KAPLAN PRACTICE TESTS

RESULT
VR 8
BS 8
PS 8
WS T

24T

MCAT #2
-EXAMKRACKERS COMPLETE STUDY PACKAGE HOME STUDY
-EXAMKRACKERS PRACTICE TEST
-EK AUDIO OSMOSIS (While I was in Europe, it was a logical choice to put Audio Osmosis on MP3 instead of lugging around textbooks)
-AAMC practice tests

RESULT

VR 11
BS 8
PS 11
WS P

30P

I found the Audio Osmosis to be helpful, but don't lean too heavily on it (meaning, you also need to do some book studying). I found some of the jokes to be lame/sexist/elitist, but if it helps you remember the information, then it worked. Judge the above for yourself. Good luck.

I also think that the Audio Osmosis is more of a supplement than a replacement for books.

swimmy said:
Has anyone tried Examcrackers Osmosis audio? How much did it help? Is it worth buying it? What are the pros and cons about it?
I'll appreciate all your comments!
Thanks!

Hated it. It was so boring but I guess it depends on the individual.

It's really only good for a quick review IMO. I find it hard to actually learn anything new from them.

I loved it! Some of it was really funny. I have a copy for sale if you want. My scores were in the 99th percentile btw.

Are you one of those types that learn a lot from sitting in lecture? This CD is perfect for you.
Are you one of those types that only go to lecture before exams or only to see what the professors says will be important for the exam? Do you feel your college lectures where mostly a waste of time? This CD is probably not for you.

I had them but found myself zoning out. I went through them 3 times but can't say it was a great help. I learned more from reading their books and understanding the pics/charts.

Learning from lectures/reading is something to keep in mind for your future college classes and med school.

Thanks a lot for your comments! They're very useful.

I used AO and the EK study guides instead of paying out the a$$ for a prep course. Best decision I have ever made :D :D :D :D

By the way....AO does help, especially for random trivial facts. I took a Kaplan diagnostic today and I wouldn't have gotten some off-the-wall questions w/o AO.

anon-y-mouse said:
I loved it! Some of it was really funny. I have a copy for sale if you want. My scores were in the 99th percentile btw.

I bought it through Amazon and some of my cd's are skipping even though it is suppose to be new..how much are you selling yours for and would you mind selling indv cds or are you trying to sell the whole thing?